Weird Happenings

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Weird Happenings

Post by sparky »

So I definitely have no shortage of weird happenings in the mountains. While I don't believe in any weird stuff I certainly don't NOT believe it either. I feel that I know what I know, and then there is absolutely no boundries for what I don't know.

So this last one was weird enough for me to start a thread about it.

I woke up in an amazing campsite with this fantastic view of north guard, brewer, and south guard burning orange at sunrise. Something seemed familiar about it, but I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I made coffee, breakfast, packed up and headed out cross country, and this is where it began. All day I knew everywhere I was supposed to go, like an endless series of de ja vous events. Now about 75% of this route I had been in the vicinity, and some of it I had been on proper, but going the opposite direction.

These de ja vous events were quite specific, like I knew the moves I was making as I was making them, and where to go after that despite a large portion of the route to be in forest. I didn't look at the map all day.

It almost felt like I had walked this same path many times in a past life.

This "de ja vous" or memories of a past life or whatever was going on yesterday helped me out because I was trying to beat the storm over the crest that developed yesterday!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Weird Happenings

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I "de ja vous" all the time. A lot of mountain features look similar in different places, so I think we subconsciously jump to the idea that we have been there before. The older I get, the poorer my memory, so it is possible that I actually HAVE been in an area and just cannot remember!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Weird Happenings

Post by sparky »

That could very well be it WD. I just re-read my post and it sort of sounds like I am claiming to be psychic, which is not at all what I intended.

I meant more like a very long stream of de ja vous. Which from what I understand is also a side effect of an epileptic seazure :eek:

You might very well be right about features being similar and my mind filling in the blanks. It was just really strange and has stuck with me