TR: Sierra Wandering ~ 08/24 - 08/30/2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Sierra Wandering ~ 08/24 - 08/30/2013

Post by Bluewater »

What the %^$!@, maybe I could have included a few more pxts of my illegal stove. Thanks rlown and marskor for the info regarding the stove guidelines.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

What a great trip report. I envy your ability to get out there and cover some serious ground. I too have your cooking setup but have yet to try it in the backcountry. Just a few test boils in the garage. I'm finding out that I can reliably boil a cup with a 4g esbit tab but that's in the comfort of my garage in Poway, CA. How does it work out in the high country?
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Richard. I haven't tried the 4g esbit tabs yet but with the equivalent of a 7g cube (1/2 of the larger 14g size) I have been able to consistenly boil 2 cups of water with some fuel left over in the backcountry. It's ok in heavy wind conditions once the esbit is burning. I think the Caldera Keg system might be slightly better in really heavy winds (like brewing coffee on the top of Whitney in very heavy winds :drinkers: ) but the whole Caldera Cone, beer can etc is larger, more delicate to pack and I like the titanium mug instead of a beer can.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Great TR. 19.5 miles on day 5 is burly! Good job. I love Humphrey's basin and Glacier divide area, so beautiful. Thanks for posting.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

rlown wrote:Aren't stoves w/o shutoff capabilities currently illegal along certain parts of your route at that time?
I also use an esbit stove, and I've never been able to get a clear, concise answer either by phone or in person. For example, Freestone posted this email reply on this thread back in July:

You can use an alcohol stove and any pressurized liquid fuel stove with an on off valve.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, the pdf file that is linked mentions that jellied gas (ie esbit) is allowed.

This is the kind of response I've also received. If this was a firm, widely mandated policy, like the use of bear cans, then it would be pretty straightforward to simply state that only pressurized gas canisters were allowed.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wow, what a great report! I was searching for data on the Ionian Basin, a goal for next summer, and of course I didn't find it, but I got lost reading your excellent TR. Hmmm... maybe I'll do Davis Lake Basin instead ;)
—B²
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

What info on Ionian are you looking for. Plenty of us on here that have wandered all over it. :)
Bluewater
Topix Expert

TR: Sierra Wandering ~ 08/24 - 08/30/2013

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks BSquared! I'm planning on going through Ionian Basin next summer, maybe I'll see you there. BTW, I can't imagine there are many places Rogue hasn't wandered in the Sierra :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

B2,

Type Ionian into the search feature, you will find a ton of info, and if you don't then
some of us can surely answer your questions.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
larree0
Topix Acquainted

Post by larree0 »

Great winter reading … and planing.
thanks for the great TR and pics.