Recommend me a 15* down bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Recommend me a 15* down bag

Post by TahoeJeff »

Thanks guys for all the good advise!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Take a look at Feathered Friends offerings too. As mentioned above, body size has a lot to do with which model (e.g. shoulder, hip, and foot girth dimensions), but here's a good example (with a tad of an overfill): http://featheredfriends.com/swallow-nan ... g-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so, i looked at all the bags, and it's like 500 buxx min to play. Depending on body shape or space desires. For me with a 15 degree bag, I expect to have a hood and a throat baffle. That's if it really gets that cold. All my sub 20's have the baffle and it helps. But TJ, you know that.

One of the bags had tie-offs for the sleeping pad ?!? My reliable REI 15 i simply outgrew. after 20 years. And I agree with Mark; A good bag will last you for life. He's lived in his badger more than anyone else I know. But then, he's not 22 anymore.

So, it's a hard call. I stand behind my recommendation (but factor in your own body type, etc). I'm 6'2" and 200+ YMMV.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:

So, it's a hard call. I stand behind my recommendation (but factor in your own body
type, etc). I'm 6'2" and 200+
++ :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so the ++ was the important part of Mavs message. The laugh was about not having a hood on a 15 degree bag. i guess.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:so, i looked at all the bags, and it's like 500 buxx min to play.
If money is the issue, and it really shouldn't be if you plan to use the bag a lot, you can sew one yourself and save about half the cost. It's a tradeoff as to whether the pride of sleeping in your own sloppily sewn creation outweighs the $0.50/hour wage you will effectively have paid yourself to make it.
rlown wrote:A good bag will last you for life.
No, it's not true. I've worn through two bags and I'm pretty sure I'm younger than Mark. One of them I can still use in benign car camping conditions. The other simply disinigrated from so much use. It kept the cooler insulated for a while and then when the duct tape couldn't hold the tired old feathers in any longer I had to toss it into the garbage can. My first bag: RIP.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wow.. that was a quick response and hidden as well. nice.

I disagree with everything you just stated. we don't own sewing machines, and all my bags are intact since my first in '82. edit: '76
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:wow.. that was a quick response and hidden as well. nice.

I disagree with everything you just stated. we don't own sewing machines, and all my bags are intact since my first in '82. edit: '76
What do you mean by "hidden"?

I don't own a sewing machine either. I borrow. But my point was merely that it is an option. When one considers the value of their time it isn't really a savings. A bag, amortized over a lifetime of travels (whatever "lifetime" means), is generally a pretty good deal. I don't know how many nights I got out of my first bag even leaving out the days and nights all it did was keep the cooler a little cooler. So many places, so many nights, way too many to count. It was like a friend... but into the garbage can it finally had to go.

I wonder why your bags have persisted while I have reduced two of mine, one to garbage, the other to car camping. They were both good bags but nylon, steel and goose down can only take so much.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I own the Versalite, and never had a cold night in it, even in late October. The only problem is all the down weight is in the bag, and sooner or later you have to get out of it. This year, I went with a bag with less fill (Valandre Mirage) and wore a down sweater with hood to sleep in.

Another consideration is the comfort of the hood, and how well the draft collar works. I found the Versalite hood system and draft collar somewhat cumbersome, but did the job. The Mirage hood system fit me much better, but did not have a draft collar, only a zipper baffle. I was annoyed by both bags with Velcro tabs, and strings falling onto my face.

In summary, consider a quality high loft bag with a higher temp rating, and make up the difference with a quality high loft down garment(s). This will reduce pack weight with no sacrifice to comfort or risk of hypothermia.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Recommend me a 15* down bag

Post by Hobbes »

Ditto on WM, FF and Katabatic. The key is the quality of the down - you should be looking for something between 800-900FP. Some of the newer fabrics, like M90, are also extremely light, durable and water repellent.

Like Bluewater, I made my own quilt (from the Thru-Hiker kit). It was more about just doing it, rather than trying to save any real money.

Speaking of money, I don't get the effort @ (false) economizing. It's a 500 mile r/t for me just to get to Lone Pine, so that's $100 in gas right there for every trip. Whether the bag lasts 30 years or just 10 years, at $500, it's only costing you $50 per year. Amortized over just 10 nights, that's $5. A Big Mac costs that much.

You could spend a bundle on backpacking, and it still wouldn't come anywhere near the cost of surfing (new boards cost $600+, and most avid surfers probably get 2 per year), golfing, not to mention boating, sailing or RVing.

Avoiding being either cold or wet is 90% of the game. Money spent reducing/eliminating these factors is a pittance compared to the value of your time.