Recommend me a 15* down bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Recommend me a 15* down bag

Post by TahoeJeff »

I have a Marmot Never Winter bag rated at 30* which weighs in at 2 lb. 7 oz. and a NF Super Light rated at 0* and weighs 3 lb. 9 oz. I'd like to get a 15* bag weighing 2 pounds or less, any suggestions?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommend me a 15* down bag

Post by 87TT »

Marmot Helium is what I have.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Big advocate for Western Mountaineering products. Yes, their bags are pricey but only have to buy once. FYI, carry the Badger.

Try their Apache...a true 15º and 2 pounds, 1 oz.
or their Versalite...10º and 2 pounds.
Then only have to carry one Sierra bag...as both are lighter.

(Also... hit/hold "alt" and type 0186 = º)
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Western Mountaineering for sure, love both of mine!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ditto on WM gear!
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

I love my Marmot Helium. Its great if you are looking for plenty of room in the shoulders
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hence the WM badger.. best thing i've ever slept in.

Brings up the question. body size. Pick accordingly and let your shoulders, arms have room.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What size are you looking for TJ? May be able to get you deal, PM me.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

markskor wrote:Big advocate for Western Mountaineering products. Yes, their bags are pricey but only have to buy once.
Western Mountaineering bags are very nice. I have several. But it is not necessarily true that they last for life. If you use one enough it will in fact permanently lose loft eventually. Zippers also go at some point. I now own two Ultralights. The old, tired one gets used for car camping.
markskor wrote:(Also... hit/hold "alt" and type 0186 = º)
That's the masculine ordinal (º). Degrees (°) is Alt-0176 (on the numeric kepad).
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

The Katabatic Sawatch is a highly rated 15 degree bag and although I don't use it myself (I make my own) it is what I would buy if purchasing a commercially available sleeping bag or quilt.

Even with the largest size options (long/wide) the 15 degree Sawatch weighs 29.7 ozs which includes 19.1 ozs of 900 f/p down. Size 'regular' only weighs 24 ozs (w/ 15 ozs of 900 f/p down!). Some of my backpacking buddies use the Sawatch and/or the Palisade (30 degree) and they all recommend them.

Katabatic bags consistently receive the highest reviews and awards (2012 Outdoor Gear Lab Editors Choice and Backpackinglight 'Highly Recommended' review). Their patented attachment system seals out any drafts.

I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, but I have 'borrowed' some of their designs when making bags and quilts at home. I really like the tapered trapezoidal footbox design and have used it on a few of my own quilts.

Just my $0.2:).