WEATHER ALERT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

WEATHER ALERT

Post by maverick »

System dropping down from the Gulf of Alaska mid next week. Please pay
close attention to this system or anything coming out of the Gulf of Alaska, it
could bring very cold air with quite a bit of snow which could be a very dangerous
situation for those caught off guard in the backcountry.

Please fill out one of our new ReConn Forms for your safety: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: WEATHER ALERT

Post by RichardCullip »

Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming weather system. I'm going to be up in the Big Pine Lakes area Weds (9/18) thru Sun (9/22). Hopefully the system will hold off until after my trip.

FYI - I tried to access the new Reconn form but I got a "Forbidden - you don't have permission to access ...." error. Looks like this could be a good and useful idea but currently it is inaccessible.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you Maverick

Do you have the link you can post on the weather site you are getting the weather forecast?

Thank you
Anita
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

WEATHER ALERT: Cancelled

Post by maverick »

Update, weather has changed, jet stream has sifted. Please continue to monitor
the weather, especially this time of the year when quickly moving storms from the
north has hit the Sierra and dumped quite a bit of snow.

The ReConn Form link should be working, just tried it and had no problems, please
try again, and if the problem persists PM me.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

madeintahoe wrote:Do you have the link you can post on the weather site you are getting the weather forecast?
A good place to find all the zone forecasts in one place is http://cdec.water.ca.gov/weather2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the area forecast discussions: San Joaquin (SFOAFDHNX) for Southern Sierra, Reno (RNOAFDREV) for east slope Tahoe to Mammoth and Sacramento (SFOAFDSTO) for the west slope north of Yosemite and up to Lassen etc. The first three letters are which office produces the forecast, the second group of three is the type (AFD=Area Forecast Discussion) and the last three are the zone (HNX=Hanford etc.). There is a picture on this page of the coverage area for each zone.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Anita,

This thread has some great weather links in it:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for this post. I'm hoping to head out on the 26th for three days; so I hope the snow holds off a while.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you both Tim and Maverick for the weather links...very helpful!
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

I have added those links to my favorites. Great weather sites. thanks for sharing this.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your welcome Anita and Paula. Make sure you also use the new ReConn Form.