Advice on 5 night SEKI excursion, 50-75miles, Late September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on 5 night SEKI excursion, 50-75miles, Late September

Post by tim »

mursey wrote:Thanks. What might you recommend to supplement her quilt? I have a neolite air womens underneath her, which is supposedly more warm than the normal version, and a hooded down sweater along with capilene base.
Apologies if I'm stating the blindingly obvious here, but a tent (with floor) and 15 degree sleeping bag would be a good idea. Also a stove, raingear, etc. Its possible that microspikes might come in useful if it does get icy, and be prepared to do an out and back to Rae Lakes rather than going over Glen Pass if necessary. Especially if you have no flexibility in your planned trip dates next week as you suggest.
mursey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mursey »

Blindingly obvious is what I'm looking for, haha. Yeah I'll bring a tent and her big 5 degree bag. It's heavy but will be worth it.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

By mid September I put my 30 degree bag away and get the 10 degree bag out. It's amazing how much difference those 20 degrees make. I also switch from the low R value air mattress to the higher R value air mattress. If you want to make sure everyone stays warm, throw some chemical warmers in your pack. Even with my down booties I have trouble warming my toes up when I get into my sleeping bag on a chilly evening; so I pop chemical warmers into the booties and I'm toasty.

That hooded down sweater is a great idea -I love my lightweight hooded puffy jacket. I sleep in it when it is cold and my head stays a lot warmer than with just a beanie hat on.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you have backpacked in the high altitude northern Rockies, gear for the Sierra late September is a lot like gear for August in the Rockies. I never made it through August in the northern Rockies without being snowed on at least once. Be prepared for a 1-2 day storm that can dump snow but is short duration and usually melts out in a few days. Because of the darkness, a lot of time is spent in the tent, so make sure that your tenting accommodations are warm and comfortable and not boring. I also take one extra day's food, just in case I have to wait out a snow storm.
mursey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mursey »

Thanks for all the advice. I hadn't realized how classic Rae Lakes Loop was. September seemed to be a perfect time to go, without crowds and all.

The trip went well. This was our first UL trip. With six days food and some water, our packs started at 15 and 19 pounds. It was amazing how much a difference the lighter weight had on our moral, and camping style. We'd get to our campground early, didn't need camp shoes, didn't feel beat, took secondary "dayhikes" and explored much more. Such a better style, I wish I'd switched over sooner.

Weather was hot Monday and cooled off Wednesday night. Dropped into the 20's briefly with a little snow and frost around Vidette Meadow. I brought my wife's 5 degree synthetic bag, which was a good third of her pack weight. I was quite toasty in my 20º XrevX, very impressed with the quilt I have to say.