trip report: Pioneer Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

trip report: Pioneer Basin

Post by SSSdave »

Got around this lazy weekend to html code the trip made to Pioneer Basin a few weeks back. Numbers of pics. Rather unproductive trip for my view camera mostly as a result of the boring sunny breezy weather but interesting nonetheless with a taste of the chill that will be increasing as we move into fall.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/_a-z_evad/B ... 22-13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Post by maverick »

Thanks Dave for the TR. Enjoyed the frozen vegetation and water foam shots the most.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the report. I'm surprised at how cold it was.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I also loved the frozen vegetation and water foam photos. As someone who's still a film user, I appreciate the soulfulness of the photos. Thanks for sharing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Even without clouds and snow (except that dirty old stuff), very pretty.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

KathyW wrote:Even without clouds and snow (except that dirty old stuff), very pretty.
Kathy, wasn't it you that posted a September trip report here for that area several years ago?
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Great trip report. Love the identification of the flora. Also, I really loved the 4x5s. Great job.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

You do such a great job finding creative and aesthetic shots even when conditions are not ideal. I thoroughly enjoyed your photography. That is another region I have not been to that needs to be high on the list.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

SSSdave wrote:
KathyW wrote:Even without clouds and snow (except that dirty old stuff), very pretty.
Kathy, wasn't it you that posted a September trip report here for that area several years ago?

I know I'm getting old because I have to look at my photo albums to figure out when I did a trip in the past. Anyway, it looks like I did do a September trip to Pioneer Basin one year but it was back in 2003; so I probably didn't post it here. I'm glad you brought that up because I need to sort out the photos in the album - they aren't in order like I like them to be. Here's what it was like back in September 2003:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... /i-jsMNDNq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess it's time to go back into that area.

I guess another symptom of getting old is wearing the same clothes for years and years. I happen to be wearing the same shirt today that I was wearing in a photo in the September 2003 album. I know I don't spend much money on clothes anymore and tend to wear my hiking clothes to work, but I didn't realize it was that bad until I saw that photo.
Last edited by KathyW on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

You may have just posted a link to a photo posting site. Back then snownymph and a few others here posted on the old webshots.com.

So you climbed Crocker. Nice self portrait. Image 1 looking down from the north ridge onto Golden Lake which we visited in 2011 while camping at the little bench below. A delightful pristine place far from trails to basecamp at. On this latest trip was going to climb up to the ridge view for an image toward Red Slate but figured it will be better when I return while snow still decorates the landscape.

This evening just completed a spreadsheet for a leisurely 9-day base camping trip back to that area I'll paste a bit from below. Given an average winter, probably the same time as the board's Kern trip but way easier. Wildflowers ought to be peaking with turf greenest, and patches of snow still on the peaks. Then a couple weeks later may do Shepherd or Taboose when they are more likely to be peaking. But I have quite a queue of trip choices to consider. Found the perfect campspot to spend the layover days at. Actually day 7 is mostly in the basin too and will leave about 6pm after shade hits lake 2. Some impressive potential frames in that basin and a lot of interesting places to explore.

Day Destination Elev
TH Edison Reservoir ferry 7,640
1 Mono Creek 8,400
2 Lower Hopkins Lake 10,360
3 Fourth Recess Lake 10,160
4 Pioneer B Lake #4 10,870
5 layover 10,870
6 layover 10,870
7 Mono Creek 9,200
8 Mono Creek 8,180
9 Edison Reservoir ferry 7,640

Day up down dis