University Shoulder

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

University Shoulder

Post by sparky »

Wondering if anyone has gone from University Shoulder down to Bubbs Creek? It looks as if it isn't all that steep, but could be quite loose.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Re: University Shoulder

Post by Shawn »

Sparky -

I've never done it, but do you mean the SW shoulder or the NW ridge (then dropping off the ridge)?

Looking at Google Earth, coming straight down one of the west chutes is pretty steep (avg of about 40% with lot of it a lot steeper). I've read of a few folks ascending the NW ridge from the Bubbs side before....
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The NW shoulder, SW slopes. Secor describes it as a xc skiers route, just curious how it is when dry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I don't know about that first ridge crossing, for it looks pretty steep on the topo. I'd cross a lot higher on the shoulder above the junction of the Kearsarge Pinnacles ridge with the crest--this is pretty much the way I went up University (ie climb shallow chute and cross at just below 3900 m), then turn and descend westward to join the southern part of your proposed route. Both sides of that route will be class 2. I've done the north side (en route to University) and the southern side is much less steep. See additional details on this route on the University Peak post in the Peak Bagging forum (mentioned as a much better alternative to University Pass).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The first ridge crossing I have done, it is fairly easy.

The south side descent after the second ridge crossing there is a section that looks a little questionable on google earth. This is the area I am asking about.

And I agree about crossing higher after consulting my photos of this ridge!

I did check that thread, thank you for all the useful information in it GB!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

Here's a photo from Bubbs Creek (center of the picture, University Peak on the right). It doesn't look too bad, except perhaps a bit loose right at the top.
DSC02512 (1280x851).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.