Too late for Ediza Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hybrid90
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Too late for Ediza Lake?

Post by hybrid90 »

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have very little knowledge of the Sierras but my wife and I are planning our first trip to Ediza Lake from September 28 - October 1 and was wondering if that's too late to go? Seems like everyone goes before mid September. Are there still water running in October?

Anyone have experience of what the weather could be like beginning of October? Extended forecast seems rather fair from highs 70's - low 40's. Should I be worried of unpredictable weather? Don't want to be caught in a snow storm or whatever since we are fairly new to backpacking.

We've done numerous 2 dayers in the Emigrant Wilderness but never the High Sierras.

Planning to hike from Agnew Meadows to Shadow Lake then on to Ediza Lake and back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!
scrinch
Topix Novice

Re: Too late for Ediza Lake?

Post by scrinch »

I'm not a very experienced Fall backpacker, but I have been caught out in a snowstorm in the Sierras... in August. So yes, the weather can rapidly deteriorate that time of year. On the plus side is that your return hike is to relatively low elevation, so a forced retreat should be relatively fast and to warmer temperatures. If I were you I would watch the forecast very closely and not go unless the weather outlook is perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Not too late if you do serious weather forecast homework. Unless one is an experienced enthusiast, would not advise anything but short trips where the weather forecast is solid fair weather. The first winter front of the season is firming up to come in next weekend, Sept 20/21 that may put at least a dusting of snow up in those areas. If a storm does occur, it could close the access road across Minaret Summit briefly.
hybrid90
Topix Novice

Post by hybrid90 »

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll definitely be watching the forecast very closely.

We already have a backup plan to car camp somewhere in Shasta just in case the weather is not backpacker friendly :D
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

If you are coming from up north, the Lakes Basin out of Quincy and Graeagle is a much lower elevation and may be a possibility with your timing. As others have said, we often get an early snow and the passes and higher roads temporarily close. Be sure to carry chains.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Ediza Lake sits in a bowl. That late, you likely will be in cool shadows by 5PM and not get morning sun until 8AM or later. Bring a good book. Although your trailhead is low elevation, you have to go up out of there to get to Mammoth Lakes. Personally, I would not want to drive that road out if it were snow covered. Like others said, bring chains. Best strategy is simply to carefully check the weather reports. That means more than just looking at a website like "weather underground". Go to the official NWS website and read the detailed forecasts.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Also pay attention to the wind. It can get a bit unpleasant if a front comes through, even if it stays dry. Thats likely to be the case next weekend. But if you get a nice patch of weather it should be fine.

What's your plan for 4 days? It seems like a long time to spend at Ediza (unless you are going on a loop trip to Garnet/Thousand Island, which are notoriously windy locations). Note there is no camping at Shadow Lake, but getting to Ediza in a day isn't too hard with an early start.