Half Dome

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Half Dome

Post by Jimr »

Hmmm, I guess I would quibble over whether that diving board was really on Half Dome, but I wouldn't put much energy into it.

The second picture is where we took photos from. The ledge visible below is where one of the climbers was standing. Whatever you call it (the spot?), here's the spot I was talking about. Both your second picture and this spot is probably all considered the visor.
Half Dome 2013 096.JPG
Regardless, it is cool. I found, walking out to the edge in your second picture, that I got a bit wishy washy on my feet. I'm not usually affected by heights, but here and walking to the edge of Mt. Langley, I experienced it. What I did notice is that if I concentrated only on my feet, then stopped and looked over, the feeling went away and I felt very stable and comfortable 8" from the edge. A mental note for next cliff face I find myself on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Jimr wrote:Hmmm, I guess I would quibble over whether that diving board was really on Half Dome, but I wouldn't put much energy into it.
Regardless, the named Diving Board is a great destination. It isn't that hard to get to and the view will blow your mind. A very worthwhile day hike. I have a bunch of photos but they don't really capture it that well.
Jimr wrote:The second picture is where we took photos from. The ledge visible below is where one of the climbers was standing.
Here's a shot looking down from that diving board rock on the Visor. That long skinny ledge is the Thank God Ledge, part of the regular route on the face. Further down are blocky ledges where people often spend the night.

Here's the view looking up from those blocky ledges below the Thank God Ledge:

Jimr wrote:I found, walking out to the edge in your second picture, that I got a bit wishy washy on my feet.
Me too! When it came to venturing out on that diving board rock on the Visor I could only do it by slowly worming my way out on my belly.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Tollermom »

and would the dark cave-like space beneath the visor/diving board be the same cave where the guys were hit by lightning in the book Shattered Air?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.