Rating The Nastiest Sierra Roads

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Rating The Nastiest Sierra Roads

Post by MountainMinstrel »

oldranger wrote: Length plus traffic makes road between Kaiser Pass and Edison and Florence the most scary for me, but easily negotiated with Prius.

Mike
Come on now. I did that in my Miata once. Except for the 4X truck that tried to refuse to move to let me by (I had no choice but to stay on the line I had and he could have gone anywhere) it was easy.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
TGTgoHARD
Topix Acquainted

Post by TGTgoHARD »

Laurel Lakes Road is a fun one! 4-5 and you can park next to the lake and fish for goldens from your car.... pretty cool. You would definately want a high clearance 4x4
If your not having fun, what are you doing??
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just got back from a trip from Taboose Pass. The road is worse than I remembered from previous years. I think it got washed out a bit this year. The trailhead as such is miserable. There is little flat ground to camp and it is infested with ants. No facilities- no outhouse, and no bear boxes. It took me 30 minutes to drive from the Taboose Creek campground to the trailhead.
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Post by richapple »

Wandering Daisy - re: Taboose TH. Is the road worse above the "corrals" area? Or is the "corrals" area still the new TH since the 2013 TStorms? (A ranger had said closed beyond the "corrals", but she'd said that right after the storms... So an extra half mile of hoofing it if parking at the "corrals".) Bummer the road is worse now. I'll be driving my Prius very very slowly... And we'd figured we'd be parking at the "corrals" anyway.

(I can still picture the look on people's faces seeing that car parked at the Kibby Lake TH. From Cherry up to Kibby could slip into that "nastiest" category. Uh, not that the road will be usable now for a while since the Rim Fire...)
richapple
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think I was at the regular trailhead. It really is not much of a parking lot. Shortly after getting on the trail you pass the sign indicating you are entering the JM Wilderness. Do not plan on camping at the trailhead. It is hot, no shade, infested with ants and hardly a flat non-rocky spot. That is unless you are set up to sleep in your car. It took me half an hour to go from Taboose Campground to the trailhead. I think I averaged 5 mph!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I think I was at the regular trailhead. It really is not much of a parking lot. Shortly after getting on the trail you pass the sign indicating you are entering the JM Wilderness. Do not plan on camping at the trailhead. It is hot, no shade, infested with ants and hardly a flat non-rocky spot. That is unless you are set up to sleep in your car. It took me half an hour to go from Taboose Campground to the trailhead. I think I averaged 5 mph!
5 mph, man you where flying up that road, usually it's quicker to walk it!!!
I'm no suture for my future.
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

I agree the road to Horton Lake TH should be included in the list and I rate it a solid 3. Drove to Taboose last year and Shepherd this year in my Subaru Outback AWD, did not find either to be as horrible. I actually managed to scratch the right side of my car by veering too far into the brush, trying to avoid gaping holes and prominent rocks on Horton. My experience served as a dire warning to a friend who chose to wrap his car in huge sheets of plastic to avoid the same fate (he works in construction).
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

orbitor wrote:I agree the road to Horton Lake TH should be included in the list and I rate it a solid 3. Drove to Taboose last year and Shepherd this year in my Subaru Outback AWD, did not find either to be as horrible. I actually managed to scratch the right side of my car by veering too far into the brush, trying to avoid gaping holes and prominent rocks on Horton. My experience served as a dire warning to a friend who chose to wrap his car in huge sheets of plastic to avoid the same fate (he works in construction).
Ahaaa! Desert Pinstripes!
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

austex wrote:Ahaaa! Desert Pinstripes!
Not something to be proud about, luckily most came off after some intense cleaning and buffing.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

what would the Mineral King road be?
Living On Kaweah Time