Mt. Wallace, Mt. Haeckel, Pk 13080, Picture Pk (trip report)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Eric1234
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mt. Wallace, Mt. Haeckel, Pk 13080, Picture Pk (trip report)

Post by Eric1234 »

a very scenic climb out of Lake Sabrina near Bishop
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013 ... 13080.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Mt. Wallace, Mt. Haeckel, Pk 13080, Picture Pk (trip report)

Post by giantbrookie »

Beautiful report and photos. As usual, your report will get peak baggers juices really going. In fact your reports this year have gotten me so excited that I think about coming out of peak bagging "semi retirement" (My emphasis in the high country is fishing). I had forgotten about Wallace's summit block. It has been so long (1983). My (renewed) memory was that it was oddly crowded when I was up there and I had to wait my turn to get up on the block. On my trip there I really regretted not doing Haeckel (I was in the area for fishing in fact), for I've always liked that peak. Picture Peak, too, is a mighty fine-looking peak from all angles. You're probably too young to remember this, but I am pretty sure I know the origin of the name "Picture Peak". Back in the 60's or maybe even earlier, this peak was featured in photos in a number of different places--I know it graced Sunset magazine on one occasion, and it was prominently featured in some books with big format photos of the High Sierra. In fact, I have this recollection that there used to be these quaint promotions at supermarkets where you'd get stamps when you shopped. If you got enough stamps you got could trade the stamp book in for things in this catalog (even I'm a bit young to remember this fully, for I was just a kid). In any case I recall one of these stamp thingies--or was it the catalog of the things you could buy with the stamps?--had an artist's rendition of Picture Peak. I know some High Sierra peak bagging enthusiasts back in the day (say 70's and 80's) were rather surprised that this oft-photographed peak did not have a name on the topo map.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric1234
Topix Acquainted

Post by Eric1234 »

Thanks Giantbrookie for pointing out the typo and history of Picture Peak. Its always interesting to know how those peaks were named.

Remember, its never too late to bag a peak!
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Eric1234 wrote:Remember, its never too late to bag a peak!
Well, I remain "semi", rather than entirely retired from peak bagging. Not many of lately, though: since 2004 only 2 SPS summits (one this year, but not a really notable one) plus one non-SPS summit. It is really fun to read your reports, though. I mainly climb vicariously through others.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Giantbrookie,
those were either blue chip stamps or s&h green stamps. I hated licking those things and gluing them into books for my mother.

Cool TR. I attempted Haeckel in 2009, but did not go up the ridge. I went up to Echo Lk, then worked up into the same bowl. The winds were heavy and when I hit Wallace/Haeckle col, it was being pounded with 40 mph winds. I was going to traverse the ridge to Haeckle, but I was concerned about being blown off the ridge, so I scuttled the mission.
[rimg]100_3066.JPG[/rimg]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Another terrific report from my favorite branch out of Bishop. Flowers were quite nice
for such a weak winter. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org