Orange time everyone..

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Orange time everyone..

Post by rlown »

It's way into that time again. Everyone stay safe and grab an orange vest. Be seen.

russ
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:It's way into that time again. Everyone stay safe and grab an orange vest. Be seen.

russ
Hi Russ,
You bet. This is a good warning to post for folks at this time of year. I also recommend that all hikers (who are not hunters) download and study the hunting season schedule, for the schedules are different in different zones.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

giantbrookie wrote: I also recommend that all hikers (who are not hunters) download and study the hunting season schedule, for the schedules are different in different zones.
Might not be a bad idea for the hunters to take a look at those schedules as well. ;)
—B²
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Ca does not require orange for hunting. I don't hunt opening weekend because it's usually a zoo. When I do I wear an orange hat but that'e it' Camo every where else. I hunt in full camo the rest of the time.The bells would probably help just as much for hunting season as I never heard a game animal or bird jingle.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:
The most interesting stat mix was for shotguns and waterfowl/upland game hunting. As a hunter for waterfowl, you are not required to wear orange (except for pheasant, i think). As a big game hunter in CA, you are required to wear 400 sq. in. (i think) of orange.

nope not required any hunter orange in CA. For any hunting.
Other states like CO require it but not CA or NV.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah. that requirement fell off the books awhile ago. I still wear orange camo to break up the solid look of orange, even if not required. And more a point of safety for non-hunters to wear something bright when out there.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

There once was a time the woods were full of idiots only during rifle season. The more skilled hunters went out archery season. Things began shifting (at least 'round here) in the mid 1980's. The idiots began archery, making that season scary to be in the woods also. Then things continued to shift, and archery season became the idiot season, and the skilled hunters drifted back into rifle season, leaving archery to the idiots.

I use the term 'idiots' to describe the one-weekend-per-year hunters that bring more alcohol than ammunition to their weekend with their buddies. When I patrolled for the Forest Service we always went out in pairs or threes during the opening weekends. We wrote a lot of citations to half-drunk belligerents who ranted "I pay your salary" or "Go hassle a logger, not a law abiding citizen". It was common to see an empty camp with a lot of expensive gear laying about, lots of empty whiskey bottles, a campfire blazing away, and not a person in sight. Saw a lot of newly shot up signs and survey posters, and the worst offenders were often city cops. I loved issuing citations to cops, especially the look on their faces after I told them I was calling their internal affairs division to report a firearms or F&G violation. :D

I still see guys in full camo, including face paint, riding the forest roads on an ATV, wondering why they do not see any deer. (Gee, do you think maybe the noise of the ATV counteracts the full camo?).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My dad was a cop in Fairfield. Some of them are truly nuts. Nice job on wrangling them, Dave.

He was pure rifle hunt. I did experience the chaos of opening days; You need to be in orange. Don't care if it's required or not.

I drifted into archery and still enjoy it, but i still do broken orange camo. So I do both.

For safety sake, just wear bright stuff. on your pack as well. Deer can't see orange, but the hunters can. be safe.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Yes orange is good..
One year about this time 35yrs ago or so I was driving from Coyote Flat out of Bishop. I was asked how the hunting was by a DFG guy in an accusatory way. I said I didn't know as I had no weapons other than a fishing rod. He said that he had been watching me through binoculars, Asked if he could check the vehicle. I obliged. The blue tarp covered the bed of the CJ8, there was onlythe camping/fishing gear from protected from the dirt.The start of gun season...I wore orange.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

CDFW Law Enforcement Active at Eastern Sierra Deer Opener
OCTOBER 1, 2013 BY AHUGHAN

California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers contacted more than 800 hunters while patrolling more than 14,000 square miles of Inyo and Mono counties during the deer season opener that started Sept. 20. During the opening weekend, 13 CDFW wildlife officers issued eight citations and 22 warnings.

Violations included hunting deer without a valid deer tag in possession, having loaded guns in a vehicle on a public roadway, overlimits of trout, speeding and driving without insurance.

Officers also conducted a wildlife checkpoint operation to promote safety, education and compliance with law and regulations through education, preventative patrol and enforcement.

On Monday, Sept. 23, the southbound lanes of Highway 395 were reduced to one lane and all vehicles traveling south on U.S. 395 were screened by the CDFW’s law enforcement officers. Screening consisted of an introduction and brief questions. Approximately 2,000 vehicles were contacted. Of those, 262 vehicles submitted to an inspection. A total of four violations were found, including three deer tagging violations, and one angler was found to have an overlimit of trout (32 trout). Several hunters were warned for not fully filling out their Deer Harvest Report Cards.

Average screening took less than 20 seconds per vehicle and the average inspection took about two minutes and 30 seconds per vehicle. If violations were found, the occupants were detained and issued citations.

CDFW also provided informative literature about the invasive quagga mussel and New Zealand mud snail to help reduce the spread of these invasive species.
Referenced from: http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2013/10/0 ... er-opener/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;