New backcountry fishing boat

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: New backcountry fishing boat

Post by giantbrookie »

oldranger wrote:
Boat.jpg
Used the LWD on 3 different lakes. Can't say the fishing was any better from the LWD than from shore but it was easier to access all of the lake (two of the lakes had significant cliffs, making shore access difficult. The LWD would be really nice at lakes like Edna and Benson.

Hiking poles strapped together with paddle blades worked fine. Caught largest fish of the trip 15 minutes into first trip on a lake trolling 1/8 oz rubber curly tailed jig behind the raft. 14" RB.

Mike
Nice test of concept. I think that in addition to lakes with precipitous sides, there are a number of lunker lakes that are very difficult to fish from shore because they are very shallow along their shores but have deep holes way out there. The shallow fringes of some such lakes can also be infested with lily pads and other aquatic vegetation. Accordingly, it is both the shallows-fringed and the cliff-bordered lakes for which such a lightweight boat would offer a significant advantage over shore fishing. I need to seriously consider such a craft.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;