Wheeler Pk and some mining sites in the Sweetwater Mtns

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wheeler Pk and some mining sites in the Sweetwater Mtns

Post by Snow Nymph »

Wheeler Peak photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/511435982cnnIBa

Thursday, 24 November 2005:

Plan was to hike Wheeler Peak (11,663'). Started on the dirt road at 6,400', stopped at a few mining sites along the way (Belfort, Boulder Flats, Star City) and ended up driving to the base of the peak (~11,447'). Short hike, so we decided to drive towards Patterson and got stuck in a snow drift. Lost 'reverse' and ended up digging forward and to the right side to get out. Two hrs later we were driving back. My mom packed turkey, dressing, squash, mashed potatoes & gravy, rolls and cranberry sauce for us to take to Mammoth, so we had a great Thanksgiving dinner!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

SN...Looks like a beautiful day you two had! I love all those old beautiful weathered buildings you saw..looks like a lot of history in that area from way back. I love that reddish color!
Beautiful pictures you took.
That was so sweet of your mom to do the Thanksgiving supper. Very cute picture of the two of you at the table.
Thats horrible about the two hours of shoveling, I know what that is like.
Thank you for sharing :D
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Getting stuck in the snow, another of lifes little pleasures. Nothing like a little experience now and then to learn for the next time.

Thank you for all the photos too, enjoyed them.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

I agree Snow. The Sweetwater range has roads with everyone's name on it. We tried to access Rockland from the west side via Sand Canyon. Uh, mistake. As it turned out, a misread topo did us in. We finally found the right road, but it looked like no one had been on it is decades.
On another note, a real fun day trip is out of Bridgeport. Drive up to the Chemung mine, then onto Masonic, and down to that dirt road at Fletcher. From there, Lucky Boy Pass to Hawthorne, or back to Bridgeport. It's on the Bridgeport quad. Do NOT try this drive when the roads are wet and muddy. Just trust me on this, OK?