TR: Family trip to Lake Ediza, Aug 31-Sep 2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR: Family trip to Lake Ediza, Aug 31-Sep 2

Post by tim »

So just a week after returning from our longer trip to Evolution Basin and Davis Lake (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) with my twins, we set off on a family trip with my wife and younger son (plus another family and their two sons) to Lake Ediza over Labor Day weekend (having booked permits the moment they became available on March 1). After taking a long time just to get out of the Bay Area because of the Bay Bridge closure, the 120 closure meant we had to go over 108 in what looked like an ash cloud from the Rim Fire, and we finally arrived in Mammoth at 10.30pm on Friday night.

Nevertheless we were up at 6am on Saturday morning so we could take the car down to the trailhead rather than riding the shuttle bus, and after breakfast at Reds Meadow, we were on the trail by around 9.30am. It was a steep climb up to Shadow Lake, and then a long more gradual ascent up the stream to Lake Ediza, which we finally reached around 3.30pm with the smoke obscuring most of the views.
DSC04248 (800x532).jpg
DSC04250 (800x532).jpg
DSC04255 (800x532).jpg
DSC04270 (800x532).jpg
We camped at the far end of the lake along with many other people, and awoke to a much clearer view on Sunday morning. After a leisurely start, we climbed to Iceberg Lake, and then headed back to camp as the clouds became a bit more threatening. However, the forecast thunderstorms never materialized, and although the wind picked up as the day went on, we had the chance for a restful afternoon, with a swim in the extremely cold lake.

Monday morning we were up early for the 7 mile hike out - the last ascent back to Agnew Meadows proved pretty exhausting for my younger son (age 8), but he was pleased to be back in civilization in time for a nice lunch in Mammoth before we headed for home, with much less traffic than I expected for Labor Day weekend - I guess the fire had put many people off going to the Sierra.
DSC04273 (800x532).jpg
DSC04276 (800x532).jpg
DSC04279 (800x532).jpg
DSC04289 (800x532).jpg
DSC04321 (800x532).jpg
DSC04297 (800x532).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Family trip to Lake Ediza, Aug 31-Sep 2

Post by bluefintu »

Thanks for the trip report. I took my daughter and son on a day hike to Shadow lake, maybe five -six years ago. It was tough going the last 500' to Shadow Lake in the sun. Then, I realized I left my fishing reel in the car. My kids had theirs but me. Very nice area to spend with the young ones !!!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

That Ediza sunrise picture is beautiful!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

Very nice trip report and photos. Glad you had some smoke-free days.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

One of my favorite areas, and having your children along makes it an even more special place! Well done.