Silliman-Tableland TR 8/26 - 8/29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Silliman-Tableland TR 8/26 - 8/29

Post by TehipiteTom »

sekihiker wrote:Wow, Tom. I'm inspired to follow in your footsteps. I've heard of the cross country routes in the area, but your description and photos makes is seem possible and interesting. Thanks.
I'm surprised you haven't done this already--I figured you had been everywhere! ;)

Aside from the pass near Silliman (Little Lakes might yield an easier crossing, but that cuts out summiting Mt. Silliman), it was all good cross-country travel. The route from Crescent to the saddle above Tableland was particularly nice, and a pleasant surprise that it went so nicely. Well worth a visit.
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by justm »

What a great trip ! It's given me some good ideas for future trips, great photos, thanks for sharing !!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Wow, great TR and photos. As others have said, very inspirational for a future trip. I've been up to Silliman a couple of times, but just did the standard up and back day hike. Your route has so much more. :thumbsup:
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

TehipiteTom wrote:The route from Crescent to the saddle above Tableland was particularly nice, and a pleasant surprise that it went so nicely. Well worth a visit.
Do you have a track for your route? I was interested in doing that part in reverse as part of a loop from the Marvin Pass trailhead, up Deadman Canyon and across the Tablelands from either Big Bird or Lonely Lake, coming out via Beville Lake. I believe in another thread where you mentioned this trip a few years back Oldranger said there were some old switchbacks to ascend from Crowley Canyon to the Tablelands (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Any evidence of those still visible?
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Thanks! Glad y'all enjoyed it.

Tim, I don't have a GPS so no track/coordinates. It's a pretty easy route to follow. From Tableland, head for the broad saddle NE of Point 11,462; from the saddle, there's a grassy bench heading west; follow that, and then just generally stay close to the Box Canyon rim. There's a short talus-y stretch, but for the most part it's fairly easy going close to the rim. (The slopes above, to your left, are a rocky slag-heap.) Eventually you'll want to veer slightly away from the rim, and head toward the saddle at the head of Horse Creek canyon; by that time, the going is easier all around.

If you head northwest from the saddle toward Point 11,080+, then turn SW/W just before the slope gets steeper, that should feed you into the high valley that leads west toward Crescent Lake.

I did not see any old switchbacks, but then I wasn't looking for them; with or without them, it's not too difficult a route.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

One other note about this trip: I went a full 72 hours without seeing a single human (although I did spy a tent in the distance one day), from the parking lot at Lodgepole on Monday til a little below Table Meadow on Thursday morning. :cool: