TR: Green and East Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

TR: Green and East Lakes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This 3-day trip was planned as a "test" for our 1-year old Border Collie (Lupe) and my husband, who has had some heart problems this summer that landed him in the hospital for four days. We were testing Lupe's paws and my husbands tolerance to altitude, hopefully, so we can do a longer trip after Labor Day. Last time I took our puppy backpacking she wore holes in her paws!

We drove to Bridgeport, under smoky skies until we hit Tahoe, then things cleared up. When I got the permit, I found out that bear cans were required so had to rent one. Last time I got a permit, bear cans were not required! I have three bear cans at home. We got on the trail by 1:30 and slowly ambled up to Green Lake. Later, two other groups arrived. The trail is a very good trail for dogs- plenty of water and gentle on paws. One other group also had a dog. My husband went fishing and caught one nice fish in spite of Lupe's habit of jumping into the water and swimming after his lure! Our dog is a swimming maniac. Come time to set up the tent, my husband discovered he forgot his sleeping pad. He used my "sit pad" and Lupe's dog pad. Our tent is barely big enough for the two of us, let alone a dog, so I took my bivy sack and slept just outside the tent door. Lupe gets very upset if her "herd" is not all tucked in together at night!

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... ited-1.jpg[/rimg]
Green Lake

Lupe is not keen on giving up her sleeping pad!

Next day we got a lazy start and hiked up to East Lake and set up camp. I went up drainage and fished Hoover Lakes. The wind was howling, and I could not even get a fly into the upper lake, but the lower lake is a bit wind protected, and I caught four 8-9 inch brookies. The smoke then started to blow in so did not get any photos. I should have photographed first and fished later! I decided to go back to camp before fishing Gilman Lake, to make sure we did not over-fish. Good thing I did! My husband was on a rock ledge, Lupe was standing on another rock ledge slightly under water, shivering! Evidently, she swam after every cast! In spite of this, my husband had three Rainbow trout - 12-14 inches - very fat at that. Back in camp, I warmed up the dog on a sunny rock and my husband read his book. Lupe got bored, so we hiked to Gilman Lake but did not fish. The smoke was getting thicker by the hour. We cooked all the fish and ate it all- a big fish pig-out and went to bed early. By midnight, smoke had cleared and we could see stars.

East Lake

Fish - the little ones from Hoover Lakes, the big ones from East Lake

Next morning we packed up and got back to the car at noon. The drive home was a lot more smoky than the drive down. It did not clear until we got well over Echo Pass. Although a short trip, it was successful. Everyone passed the "test".

Lupe loves the tent!

Sunrise at East Lake
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Green and East Lakes

Post by jessegooddog »

A great report as always, and nice to see pics of your husband and dog. I hope your husband stays well and is able to enjoy a trip after Labor Day. Re the smoke from this horrific fire, its covering even the southern Owens valley the last few afternoons - could barely make out the sierra or inyo mountains for a short time yesterday.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. I'm glad Lupe and your husband had a very successful trip and that they both held up very well hiking. Lupe swimming after those retrieves must have quite a sight, too. East Lake has so many things going for it. I think it is underrated, but I hope that continues, for one would be hard pressed to name a place with so many positive qualities that close to a trailhead.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

We drove through the southern Owens Valley yesterday after a backpack up Convict Canyon to Clover Leaf Lake and back over Laurel/Bloody Pass to the Laurel Lakes four wheel drive road and looped back around through the desert to the Convict Canyon trailhead. The terrible smoke is from a fire burning in the western edge of the Golden Trout Wilderness. Apparently the strong winds this weekend blew the smoke into the Owens Valley.

Thanks for the photos and your trip report, WD. I love the shot of your dog in the tent and glad
that all made the trip with no problems.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

Daisy,

Thanks for the TR.
Wandering Daisy wrote: My husband went fishing and caught one nice fish in spite of Lupe's habit of jumping into the water and swimming after his lure!
Whisper in her ear, "Guadalupe, you are a herder...not a retriever!" :D

I'm glad the Doc's heart is better!

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Maybe she is herding the fish!

I am leaving tomorrow to go up Taboose Pass into Lake Basin and Dumbbell Lakes. I expect smoke in Owens Valley but hope it is clearer up higher. I would not like to do the 6,000 feet gain up the pass choking on smoke. Ugh!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

No smoke yesterday (rain in Independence!!) or today (muggy), but horrid the previous 2 afternoons. Be safe, and looking forward to your TR.
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

Thanks for the TR, WD. Great photos as usual.
I'm heading on that exact trail next week with a large group of friends and hope to do some fishing at the lakes you mentioned, and some other ones below Stanton Peak. Nice to know there's some fishing to be had! :D