Best burger in the Sierra

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Best burger in the Sierra

Post by longri »

I'd forgotten about Ikeda's. Haven't been there in years.

So the best burgers in the Sierra are in Escalon, Sacramento and Fresno? Well, okay.

I do like the Stone ales though. Thanks for the recommendation for Eureka Burger. I never know where to go in Fresno other than right through it in a hurry.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Burger barn on line street Bishop. Handmade buns, homemade fries, homemade ice cream/ malts. Very good and has really grown into there own.
I'm no suture for my future.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Rockchucker wrote:Burger barn on line street Bishop. Handmade buns, homemade fries, homemade ice cream/ malts. Very good and has really grown into there own.
Thanks, I visited the Burger Barn for the first time this spring.

I can't say the buns tasted special in any way, although the big steel machine they used to help "hand" make them looked pretty cool. A good burger for sure, and a friendly vibe as well.

But even in April it was pretty darn hot. Do people stop there for lunch in July?
afahrland
Topix Acquainted

Post by afahrland »

Red's Meadow Resort has a pretty damn good burger, and certainly qualifies as being "in" the Sierra. Way better than the Whitney Portal burgers in my opinion.

The one that's tasted the best after a hike was a bacon cheeseburger from Jolly Kone in Bridgeport.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

longri wrote:
Rockchucker wrote:Burger barn on line street Bishop. Handmade buns, homemade fries, homemade ice cream/ malts. Very good and has really grown into there own.
Thanks, I visited the Burger Barn for the first time this spring.

I can't say the buns tasted special in any way, although the big steel machine they used to help "hand" make them looked pretty cool. A good burger for sure, and a friendly vibe as well.

But even in April it was pretty darn hot. Do people stop there for lunch in July?
Yea they stay pretty busy all summer, the upstairs patio has misters to help tame the heat.
I'm no suture for my future.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

afahrland wrote:Red's Meadow Resort has a pretty damn good burger, and certainly qualifies as being "in" the Sierra. Way better than the Whitney Portal burgers in my opinion.

The one that's tasted the best after a hike was a bacon cheeseburger from Jolly Kone in Bridgeport.
X2 on Red's and in Bridgeport I like Rhino's Homemade buns and Onion rings that are out of this world.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Lots of good spots. But on the West Side, I'll point to the Lakeshore Resort at Huntington Lake. Good grub (including burgers) and beers, not far from trailheads out of Florence and Edison Lakes.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

A bunch of good recommendations. Thanks.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

What?? No mention of Walker Burger in Walker/Coleville?? Great veggie burgers, too, and you can't beat the roadside ambiance! Closes late Oct thru March or April.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I always stop at Astro Burger in Kramer Junction on the way to the Sierra. Always an incredibly tasty burger.

John