East Lake/Lake Reflection Conditions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Hungry Packer
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

East Lake/Lake Reflection Conditions?

Post by The Hungry Packer »

Hello!

First time posting here, but not my first time backpacking. In mid-September, a friend and I will be heading up to Lake Reflection in Kings Canyon. We've never been to Kings Canyon (except for some limited access from the east side via Bishop Pass) and we're curious about a few things:

1. How is the Bubbs Creek crossing this year? I've read horror stories about crossing Bubbs Creek. I understand that it will be lower when we head out (especially considering this dry year), but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate.

2. Does the East Lake/Lake Reflection area typically get crowded? From what I've read, it's far less popular than the Rae Lakes area, but I figured I'd ask the seasoned audience of this forum.

Thank you all!

- The Hungry Packer
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: East Lake/Lake Reflection Conditions?

Post by kpeter »

Hello Hungry Packer,

I do not have any current information for you, but I crossed Bubbs Creek in late July of an average year, and while it was difficult, it was not harrowing. It is hard for me to imagine that it would be difficult in mid September of a dry year--unless there is a storm.

As for crowds, the general rule of thumb is that after Labor Day all crowds are greatly diminished, and Lake Reflection was not that crowded even when we were there. I think you should be fine.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hello HP,

Welcome to HST! You will be fine on both accounts. The Bubbs crossing will not be
anything near the dangerous levels it is in a normal to high snow year in the early
to mid summer. After Labor Day crowds thin out significantly so chances of solitude
in high usage areas are much more likely. Neither of these location gets over-run
anyways. Please write up a TR of your adventure when you get back would enjoy
reading about your trip. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RobS
Topix Novice

Post by RobS »

I crossed Bubbs Creek last year which was similar to this year in snowfall. I crossed on Aug. 15 on the way to Lake Reflection. The water was just above knee high and the crossing was not difficult.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

It's been years since I've been up there (been to Lake Reflection once and to East Lake a couple of times). I was the only one around during my trip to Lake Reflection and during my trips to East Lake there was only one other party on the other side of the lake.

My first trip up there was in the spring of a high snow year. When I got to the Bubbs crossing it became obvious that I was not going to cross at that location. I hiked back about a half mile where it widens out considerably and crossed easily. As others have said though, this time of year given the conditions it should not be a problem at all.
The Hungry Packer
Topix Newbie

Post by The Hungry Packer »

Thanks for all the information everyone - much appreciated! Can't wait to get out there. I will definitely be posting a trip report!

- The Hungry Packer
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted

Post by atreehugger »

Did a trip past East Lake / Lake Reflection over Longely Pass couple weeks ago. Bubbs is no problem...water not even up to knees and moving slowly. If have tender feet (like myself) and wear water shoes...actually feels really good to cool off your feet. Met a group of 5 coming down from East Lake. No one else up there. Trail is good to East Lake and nice view campsites on east side of lake. Trail up to Reflection is faint in places...some talus ...should not be much of a problem but will take a little time. Nice camps on west side of lake. East and Reflection have a remote feeling as few people wander up this way.
Have a great trip.