TR: Cole Creek Lake in Mokelumne Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Cole Creek Lake in Mokelumne Wilderness

Post by madeintahoe »

What a wonderful report..thank you so much...The Mokelumne Wilderness is a very favorite of mine..but I have only been in certain areas...I have heard about the Allen TH...looking at my map I see where you went. It's a beautiful area!

I was in the area on Tuesday hiking Stevens Peak...we saw what we are almost 100% sure a Golden Eagle swoop up about 100 feet feet from us..and an American Kestrel..hovering in the wind in one place and than swoop down into the bushes.......The Western Tanager is beautiful you saw!

Beautiful pictures and report..Thank you!
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Great report. My adventures aren't epic, but there are adventures to me nonetheless. I would like to try this one. Thanks for the detail.
michaelgrosse
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by michaelgrosse »

I have a real curiuosity about the fishing in the lakes in that region. I believe Cole Creek Lakes were gilnetted so the MYLF has a habitat.
-Russ[/quote]

Russ,
In part because of this person''s report, I am super interested in going up to Cole Creek Lake, my son and I drove to the trailhead this past weekend, but we got a late start and decided against venturing down the trail, but this weekend, we have decided to do it. Because of your comment, I tried to find more information on a fish kill in the area, this is what I found, so it looks like there may be some fish:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nr ... NcNWuD5IrA

from the report:
Introduced Fish – Cole Creek supports a population of introduced trout and fish removal is not feasible due to the lack of a suitable downstream fish barrier. A fish removal project was attempted at Cole Creek in the mid- 2000s and did not succeed. Although the rest of the SNYLF lakes in Amador County appear to be fishless, Granite Lake and the three SNYLF lakes northeast of Granite Lake drain into Silver Lake, a large managed- water level reservoir with self-sustaining trout.

so I am hoping there is some activity, I will post accordingly after the trip.

michael
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

Last year in June Mel and I had a nice trip to Long lake for 2 nights and Cole creek lake for 1 night. Really nice and isolated, one of my favorite spots for a quick getaway from Sacramento.

I fished at both lakes but was unsuccessful. I saw no fish in either lake nor did I see any fish rising. I have only a tenkara rod so I wasn't able to hit the deeper waters. I remember seeing a couple of guys with spinner rods on our way out who were headed up to Cole creek lake and I've often wondered if they caught any fish.

For those who are interested Cole Creek laker is far prettier and deeper than Long lake.

I liked the solitude of Mokelumne so much I went back in July for a 4 day solo trip to Camp Irene to fish the North Fork of the Mokelumne. Hellish trip with serious bushwacking and some off trail stuff... Great fishing but not very certain if I would return, well at least not solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josiahmac
Topix Newbie

Post by josiahmac »

Anyone been back to Cole Creek Lakes area to see if fish are in there?
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Did something happen to the links? I cannot see the pictures, but obviously everyone else did. I love that area and would love to see them.
Thanks!