Best burger in the Sierra

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Thought I'd start a stupid topic....

Where can you order the best burger in the Sierra?

I know it's not the Portal Store although they do serve up a nice, ample burger (and I'm always very hungry when I get one). The best I've had was in Mariposa at Happy Burger. But I've only been to a relatively small number of places over the years, so I wonder... where's the best?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Best burger in the Sierra

Post by balzaccom »

It's not actually in the Sierra--but it's on the way: Hula Burgers in Escalon
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

The bacon cheeseburger at the RiverKern General Store, just a few miles north of Kernville along the North Fork of the Kern. Best burger I've ever eaten. Just awesome.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

Remember the Bobo's Bonanza Burger? That was a burger to have upon exiting the trails.
camptramp
Topix Acquainted

Post by camptramp »

RichardCullip wrote:The bacon cheeseburger at the RiverKern General Store, just a few miles north of Kernville along the North Fork of the Kern. Best burger I've ever eaten. Just awesome.
I don't doubt it - they have as good a pastrami or rye sandwich as I've had anywhere !!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

RichardCullip wrote:The bacon cheeseburger at the RiverKern General Store, just a few miles north of Kernville along the North Fork of the Kern. Best burger I've ever eaten. Just awesome.
Dang-it, I was just through there two weeks ago. If only I knew. ](*,)
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Oops! I could've sworn I'd put this in the campfire forum as this isn't about backcountry food.

Just in case I wasn't clear, I was asking about restaurant burgers, not what you made over a campfire in the backcountry. Maybe a moderator could move this thread, if they care?

But while off-topic, the best backcountry hot dog I ever had was at Muir Pass. I don't even eat hot dogs in the front country but that thing was so delicious I can almost still taste it 7 years later.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

That reminds me of one of my fathers' favorite stories. He worked at a summer camp where the cook had a great reputation for breakfasts. So one day one of the counselors asks the cook what his secret is...

"Ya get the kids up at six, and ya feed 'em at nine, and it's the best damn breakfast they've ever had!"
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

Certainly not in the Bay Area, but on my way back from Desolation two weeks ago I stopped by the Squeeze Inn outside of Sacramento - certainly fit the bill for a post-trip fix; alas they did not have Lipitor on the menu :-/

And yes, that is all cheese!!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

My two favorite (Sierra) burger joints are/were in the northern part of the range. One has closed: this was Stoney Burger in Quincy. Terrific burgers plus good additional menu selection and SN Pale Ale on tap. Another is a place I don't recall eating at in a very long time. This is/was Bassetts Station at the junction of Hwy 49 and Lakes Basin Road. In several visits in the late 80's and early 90's this was outstanding. I then had a really disappointing visit that I was told after the fact was because the cook was on vacation and they had someone pinch hitting. I haven't eaten there in a very long time, but I think I did return after that let down visit and found things had picked up again.

A longtime favorite that I've eaten at over a very long period of time, including rather recently (last year?) is Ikeda's in Auburn (Foresthill exit). Terrific burgers, nice fresh fruit shakes, and very nice market with fresh produce, a lot of specialty food items (including baked goods), and a very impressive selection of bottled beers.

For anyone headed up 41, 168, or 180, you'd have to pass through Fresno and a very highly recommended spot is Eureka Burger. Absolutely superb burgers, including some very creative and original ones, such as the Fresno Fig Burger (personal favorite), along with a top of the line tap list (examples: Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous, Bear Republic Racer 5. Lagunitas, Stone, Sierra Nevada seasonals, among many others--terrific rounds of Lagunitas Lucky 13 as of my last visit). Needless to say, I don't consider this a "Sierra" burger because I live here, but for folks from outside of Fresno going to or coming from the high country via those three roads, this would be a highly recommended stop.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;