Pat Hadley - Forever in the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pat Hadley - Forever in the Sierra

Post by Snow Nymph »

I never met her, but we exchanged e-mails in the past so I felt like I knew her. Such a strong and inspirational woman. Had a hard time with this news yesterday. Condolences to her friends, students and family. RIP, Pat
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I did not know Pat, so when I heard this sad news I followed the links to her photographs. They are filled with smiling friends and beautiful vistas. It is obvious that Pat was deeply loved and that she embodied the spirit of the Sierra.
Phil R
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Phil R »

I didn't know Pat but just discovered she was a coach at our local high school, so I am sure we have a lot of mutual friends. So sad to hear about the loss of such a great individual who was having a positive impact on so many people. My condolences to her family, friends, and the Valencia High School Community.
People are friendly at 6000 ft...and the higher you go, the friendlier they get.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Such tragic news of a life cut short. Condolences to her many friends and to her family; she obviously touched so many lives. Rest in Peace Pat.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Such a huge loss of this multi talented woman who had so much more to give. Family, friends and students - so many are forever touched.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Very saddened by this news. What a tragic loss.

From all accounts, Pat had been owning the SC this year...

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/2013-s ... 04-75.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R.I.P, Pat.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Deb wrote this moving tribute on Summitpost:
My life has been enriched by climbing peaks and getting to know her at camp
or along the trail. Easily the kindest person I've known. It was her urging when we
did Milestone/Midway that I took myself to ER for my medical issue after that trip.
I learned which plants I could eat and countless flower names from her. She never
failed to be a positive force and we had great chemistry together out there.
Her talks of her "kids" at school and growing up in Wisconsin and how she looked
forward to being home with her hubby and "napping" with him ... I can not ever
forget her sweet loving nature and how open and giving she was. She said she liked
climbing mtns with me because I was tough and moved over stone nicely. I am
deeply flattered.
I am angry and disbelieving today that someone so treasured is gone in a flash.
Happily, the last thing I said to her was "I'll be thinking of you. Love you."
A damn tragic loss ~
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lilbitmo
Topix Newbie

Post by lilbitmo »

"Some Eagles fly higher than others" I'm just glad I got to fly near you once, it was with great pleasure I got to share a summit with you. I know you were one of the "good people that touched so many lives", your spirit will live on in the rest of us that love the mountains.
Pat Hadley lifting off the summit of Mount Abbott on May 18th 2013, I look forward to meeting you again some day my friend, you were an inspiration to us all.

orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and messages. It seems surreal to talk about Pat in the past tense; I find it hard to accept there will be no more talking, laughing, stories and advice from her. Pat's passing leaves a painful emptiness across many groups, from fellow climbers to the students she mentored, the entire school community to which she belonged and, of course, her family and friends. Eventually, all of us who knew her must find a way to move forward, but having Pat taken away from us so suddenly will surely hurt for a long time. Instances such as this make us question whether there really is justice in the grander scheme of things. Why would such a beloved human being, who impacted so many lives in a positive way, fall victim to the randomness and indifference of nature? I suppose philosophical questions must be answered by each person according to their own belief system, but based on the general reaction to the situation, it would not be an overreaction to say that Pat's death was a TOTAL SENSELESS LOSS or, to echo Deb's feelings, a damn shame.

I have been thinking of what we could do to honor Pat's memory. A friend who also knew Pat from recent trips (including the Williamson trip) said, "I guess one thing is to try to live life like she did—i.e., to the fullest with kindness, gratitude, thoughtfulness, and fortitude." I find his thought uplifting, and, for those of us who like to scale mountains, in complete accord with the conviction that we need to keep climbing. I'm sure that's what Pat would have wanted us to do. Lessons about safety and procedure are plenty, many learned the hard way through those who paid the ultimate price, and of course assimilating those lessons will be one of the top priorities. However, as we make our way toward the summits, I hope we do it with the certainty that Pat will be looking down on us from above, from a better place, and that when we get to the top, Pat's spirit will be all around us and IN us, so that we can continue carrying her goodness forth again and again.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Another beautiful and moving tribute by one of Pat's colleagues:

A couple of days gone, but the sadness and gravity of the news lingers. An amazing
person… woman, teacher, artist, wife, friend, mentor, climber, biker, hiker… died
too soon.

News stories, emails, Facebook posts scream the news over and over. Tributes, kind
words, and grief surround the empty reality that as a new school year begins, someone
who was supposed to be in her classroom this week, will not be there. Now it is
memories that keep Pat in our hearts.

Pat and I started at Valencia High School the same year. We experienced personnel
changes, modernizations, good years and tough years. Throughout changes, Pat was
a constant. Constant optimism, constant enthusiasm, constant joy.

Adjectives that describe her flow easily: vibrant, kind, adventurous, passionate, loving,
creative. One key description is that she was an outstanding teacher! She earned the
respect of students and colleagues and operated with an ethic of care. Reading the kind
words of my colleagues and of Pat’s former students demonstrate over and over the
impact… the impression she leaves in our hearts and minds.

She made people better. Better artists, runners, and students. She saw potential in
people even when they did not see it in themselves and she worked to bring it out.
She wanted students to believe in themselves as much as she believed in them. I
hope those students who worked with her continue in her honor. Desire better, keep
running, push into possibility.

I have some favorite memories. One is a Halloween costume (probably ten years ago),
when she showed up at the faculty lunch with cereal box tops attached to her clothes.
“I’m a cereal killer!” she exclaimed.

We shared a love of chocolate. We used to compete for the dark chocolate on the
principal’s desk. We both sifted through the treats to find our favorites and if they
were gone we knew the other showed up first.

At department chair meetings, our administrators kindly placed chocolate in the middle
of the table. Pat would place her empty wrappers in front of me and make comments
about how much chocolate I needed to get through the meetings. Her eyes twinkled as
we pushed those wrappers back and forth between us.

She lived around the corner from me. Every year Pat and I would catch up at an event
and say to each other, “We need to get together with a good bottle of wine!” We
never did.

Numerous memories and stories are being told this week. As we all process the loss
of a person we loved and respected, I am one of many people weighted by sadness.

Now the consummate teacher is teaching us to deal with life and death. What are the
lessons learned?

The school year still begins in a week. The loss is real and devastating. No doubt there
will be more tears, tributes and memories on a common theme: Pat lived inspired.

We love her and we miss her.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org