Dinkey Lakes Wilderness advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bsd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by bsd »

I plan on backpacking 3 days through the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness in a couple weeks. Any advice, suggestions, tips? Also, how are the weather conditions around this time of year up there? Fishing conditions? Wildlife concerns? Thanks.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dinkey Lakes Wilderness advice

Post by rlown »

Have a great time. What research have you done? Where are you planning to go? that would be helpful to give tips.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

As long as you get there before the start of deer season you will be fine.

Are you going in from Cortwright?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
bsd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bsd »

I've backpacked, hiked, or drive and camped the sierras every year since I was a boy. I have never backpacked in this area but hiked it with my father when I was young. A backpacking friend of mine has never been to the area and I thought maybe a revisit was in order. Going to stay near the main loop, but will venture out to the surrounding ranges and lakes. My plan is to leave sometime between now and the next few weeks, and haven't stayed overnight up in that area this late in the year. Probably drive up rock creek rd. but may travel the cliff lake way. Just was curious about where the fishing might be best, what alternative routes to hike on, what to expect average weather wise, and just some tips and experiences from people who explore this wilderness frequently.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

All i was looking for was what lakes are on your Radar as possible places you might go, or thinking about hitting. You must have some more precise plan?

Like if i said i wanted to hit Payne Lk, somewhere, someone might tell me more info.

What is your more precise plan?

russ
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

There are some hidden gems in the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness. I like to stay away from the lakes and explore cross country. I won't divulge all of them but here's a link to a trip report about some of my favorite spots. There is some good fishing, especially in the endless granite pools downstream. . .

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I have been using the Cliff lake trailhead as I have been going in early September and my vehicles have not had great ground clearance. My memories of Rock Creek Rd. in the rain make me steer clear of it when there is even a remote possibility of rain.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted

Post by bdevlin »

I was there last year at this time and the lakes were reportedly quite low. A guy that was fishing the main lakes said fishing was not good. However, I could not help but notice a fresh fishing carcass at our site by one of the main lakes.