Bear Attacks

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Attacks

Post by RichardCullip »

This isn't really related to black bear attacks but the last couple of days had me wondering about the difference in behavior of black bears in northern California and southern Oregon. We car camped in both Mill Creek Campground, just south of Crescent City, CA, and Humbug Mountain State Park in Oregon, just 80 or so miles north. In the California campground we had to put all our food and smelly stuff in the provided bear box and we had dire warnings from the rangers about the danger of non-compliance. Now, just 80 miles to the north and the very next night, we were told that we didn't have to take any precautions with our food. Even the trash cans were not bear proof. It was very interesting to see the difference in bear precautions taken in the two state run campgrounds.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

There are a number of subspecies of American Black Bear. My wife is from Vancouver Island, and that subspecies is known to be much more aggressive towards humans than the mainland Olympic Black Bear. From what I am told the Van Island BB's are quite a bit larger, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_black_bear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

How aggressive or smart a black bear is may depend on what we do to them. An aggressive or smart bear that is protected (think National Park) will be successful at obtaining food than will a more passive or less inquisitive bear. However, where people hunt, an aggressive or risk taking bear will probably wind up on somebody's dinner plate, his passive or fearful brethren will survive and pass on the genes. Thus we have the super smart bears of Yosemite, while bears up in the Marble Mountains, where the locals hunt them frequently, definitely make a point of being under people's radar, hiding in the bushes and not coming out. When I hiked the Marbles a few years ago, I would find that on occasion, I could smell what I was pretty sure was a bear very close in the brush. I was right on top of them, but they wouldn't budge. Smart bear. He/she knew I either couldn't smell them (most humans) or I wasn't stupid enough to risk a close encounter. Granted it was late in August and bow season was starting in a few days. :bear: Smart Bear