6 day loop in Ansel Adams Wilderness and x-country question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

6 day loop in Ansel Adams Wilderness and x-country question

Post by dreamer1 »

My fellow 50 yr-old hiking partner (1st time in the Sierra) and I (did Vogelsang loop, also TM to Sunrise Cloud's rest and out via Tenaya Lake previously) have settled on a 6 day hike in the AAW area in mid-September (originally planning a hike from TM to Agnew Meadows but transport logistics for getting back to the car seemed complicated due to limited shuttle service after labor day and we will be pressed for time heading back). We will have 2 acclimatization days and night in the Saddlebag-20 lakes basin area before starting out on our backpacking in the area. We have one question regarding how-where to take the x-country route from Garnet lake to 1000 Island lake (I've seen descriptions here for doing it the other way - 1000 Islands to Garnet via a low saddle) but am not clear where we should be and head if going the other way. Our x-country skills are limited but this seemed very doable. Here is the full itinerary - any comments or suggestions are welcome as always.

Note: Not bringing fishing gear and like being able to stay 2 nights in the same area to savour and explore settings and environs without full packs.

Days 1-2: We plan to take the River Trail to Ediza (permits already in hand) and camp there 2 nights (day 2 would be dayhikes to Iceberg, Cecile or Nydiver). From everyone's posts, sounds like a marvellous area.

Days 3-4: JMT to Garnet Lake and then x-country to 1000 Islands (if we can figure out the route!) Plan to camp on the north shore toward the fluer-de-lis shaped cove suggested by others. Dayhiking the next day would include heading over to Donahue pass and back.

Day 5. Thinking of heading up and then back on the PCT and maybe camping somewhere along the way but not clear where we could do that given general lack of water in the area.

Day 6. Short day with early exit -- back out on the PCT towards the car at Agnew and drive back to Vegas via DValley. Flight back to the east coast (Canada) the next morning... sniff sniff.

Many thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 6 day loop in Ansel Adams Wilderness and x-country question

Post by maverick »

Hi Dreamer1,

Garnet Pass is located here: HST Map
This is an easy straight forward class 1 pass. You can view photos of it here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Garnet+ ... 69&bih=827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have a fun and safe trip, please write up a TR about your adventure.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigSea
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigSea »

dreamer1 wrote:We have one question regarding how-where to take the x-country route from Garnet lake to 1000 Island lake (I've seen descriptions here for doing it the other way - 1000 Islands to Garnet via a low saddle) but am not clear where we should be and head if going the other way.
I was just there this past weekend and that route is pretty straightforward. If you're heading north on the JMT, go over the foot bridge at the outlet of the lake and continue on the trail for a few more minutes until it turns roughly north. Shortly after that you'll see a use trail on your left, which you follow along the north side of the lake. If I remember correctly, the trail finally peters out near some smaller lakes just above (west of) Garnet Lake. I think you can see the saddle from there and then you just make your way up to the low point. It looks like this:

And the view from the top looking towards Thousand Island Lake:

Hope that helps.
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pietro257 »

I hiked the cross-country route from Garnet to 1000 Island two weeks ago. It's simple. An easy-to-find use trail takes you around the north shore of Garnet to the nameless lake below the pass. It's easy to see where the pass is from there and easy to find a route down the other side. Not much talus hopping required.

If you lose the use trail around Garnet Lake, keep going around the north shore till you come to the stream that runs from the nameless lake down to Garnet. Follow the stream up. You'll hit the use trail eventually.

The area you're in can get kind of crowded. I suggest staying at Garnet Lake rather than Ediza. It's prettier with more campsites. In my experience, Ediza can be a zoo.
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

Many thanks as the maps, descriptions, and pictures made it all very clear. I did not know of the passes map which is a great resource. Regarding camping options, I know that Ediza can get crowded but am hoping that arriving mid-September on a week day will help us find thinner crowds but will keep the idea of moving onward to Garnet in mind as we will be spending quite a bit of time in that area. Thank you again for your valuable input and look forward to posting a report once we get back.

Cheers.