Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
kenish
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Post by kenish »

@tdavidock- I think different cell carriers have different policies but texts are often stored for awhile by the carrier and having the phones isn't necessary. You're probably aware of cases in the news where texts were obtained from the carrier. I do know that cell carriers have a "breadcrumb" record of time and direction of every cell tower a phone "pings". That has been key in criminal and SAR situations. Family doesn't need to rely on law enforcement... close family members can get the info from the carrier, even if they need a court order. They should talk to a the cell carrier first, and then a friend, colleague, PI, etc. to get that info...it's getting close to the 30-day mark when the data may be automatically deleted.

*Where* the calls and texts happened is just as important as "when" and "what". If the early morning "ping" was north of the cell tower atop Mammoth Mtn, that strongly suggests Matt was headed to Red Meadow, or carpooled elsewhere. The main lodge area is north of the peak, and not "in town" and strongly suggests (to me) that he didn't take YARTs. If the evening calls or texts were from the Main Lodge, that is of interest because public transit back down to town stops at 6pm. Apologies if all this has been done and I hope family has already engaged the cell carrier and doesn't wait for the PD.

Also consider putting posters northward along US395 since there was the possible sighting in Minden. 395 runs through Reno, eastern CA, OR (past famous outdoor spots like Bend and Crater Lake NP), through WA (Spokane) and into Canada. Although it's not an interstate it's a major truck and travel corridor and probably fairly easy to hitch a long-distance ride.

Hope this helps!
Alpineholydog
Topix Novice

Post by Alpineholydog »

Still hoping for the best!
Have a trip to area in a week. Will keep an acute eye out. I understand how hard this is for all that know him. The summaries you are providing are very helpful. Hang in there! Any new details are greatly appreciated.

“In God's wildness lies the hope of the world.”
― John Muir
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Searched Areas:

North notch from Cecile lake
North east snow field up to notch
West side of notch and surrounding gullies
Climbed to south notch from Cecile lake
Traversed to amphitheater lake over Michael Adams saddle
Climbed amphitheater gully
Checked upper reaches of the 3 west shoots of micheal
Checked register at Star plaque
Cecile lake west shore and slopes
Slopes to the nw of iceberg lake
Iron Mountain

Climbs he did in prior days:

Unicorn peak
mammoth crest
Clyde minaret (verified with reg signature)
Dana couloir
north peak
palasades v notch-
reigeluth minaret
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Matthew Greene video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPUhbYR1 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Possible first clue since Matthew's disappearance, finally some good news (hopefully) :nod:
in this so far depressing Summer full of fatalities, and missing persons. :(
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... 321&tn=780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DAVELA
Topix Regular

Front page coverage on yahoo

Post by DAVELA »

I saw this posted on yahoo's frontpage : http://gma.yahoo.com/search-missing-pa- ... ories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I saw it headlined on many pages today, including the main Fox News website. Hope there can be a resolution soon with this exposure.

Ladd
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Post by Ross939 »

The belt that was found near the crater is intriguing to me. Most on that thread are discounting it as irrelevant, as it is something a hiker such as Matt wouldn't wear. True, however, the way it glistened in the sun from such a far distance indicates to me that this is a fresh deposit and something that hasn't been laying there for 2-3 seasons. Belt buckles are rarely made of solid brass or minerals that would withstand weathering, even if it were brass in color. I would think after a winter season it would be so badly oxidized it would not glisten in the sun. Very interesting twists in that case...
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Even solid brass will quickly tarnish
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Im sorry if my reply was terse. I hope your friend is found alive and well. We all care about each other out there. Thats why we are so happy to stop and chat with people on the trail.