TR: Headwaters Kern R

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Headwaters Kern R

Post by KathyW »

I need my wipes too - I'd be lost without them.

I have always looked up toward Junction Pass when on the Shepherd Pass trail, but it doesn't look easy. I don't think I'd plan to go over Junction Pass either.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

I've also not been over Forester Pass or to Center Basin. Nor to Miter Basin. Beautiful photos and interesting trip report. I've wanted to go to these places and it whetted my desire to take those paths.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Great trip report. Love the pictures of your camps at Milestone Basin and Thunder Mountain Basin. Stunning!

I also like using no clock. Up and down with the sun.

Thanks for taking the time to share this trip!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Sorry, I need to correct myself in my earlier post. I meant Junction Pass, not Shepherd Pass.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Classic trip and report. Quite a fishing odyssey, too. What a great area.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Note for any that are merely interested in reaching the lower Tyndal Creek areas, the net vertical up and down going over Shepherd Pass and returning that same way is about 1620 feet less than out and back from Onion Valley over Forester Pass. This includes a route down to where the Shepherd and Forester passes meet lower down so would not be valid for someone staying up near the top of Shepherd Pass say to climb Tyndal.

Total vertical out and back via Shepherd is 8460 feet that includes 6630 from the trailhead to the pass and another 1170 back up on the west side to the pass. However if one starts at Onion Valley but exits at Shepherd Pass, it is 1325 feet less than Shepherd pass out and back or 7135 feet total up vertical though the mileage is considerably longer. Thus the logic of that popular semi loop though one pays with an extra day of travel.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for posting the great trip report; it was a great read and beautiful photos.
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

Since I haven't had a chance to do a significantly long trip this year, it's reports like these that have me salivating! Those are some gorgeous lakes and a route that is top quality fishing.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great report.

I think I camped in the same spot at Vidette Lakes--there really isn't much else around there.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

SSSdave wrote:Note for any that are merely interested in reaching the lower Tyndal Creek areas, the net vertical up and down going over Shepherd Pass and returning that same way is about 1620 feet less than out and back from Onion Valley over Forester Pass. This includes a route down to where the Shepherd and Forester passes meet lower down so would not be valid for someone staying up near the top of Shepherd Pass say to climb Tyndal.

Total vertical out and back via Shepherd is 8460 feet that includes 6630 from the trailhead to the pass and another 1170 back up on the west side to the pass. However if one starts at Onion Valley but exits at Shepherd Pass, it is 1325 feet less than Shepherd pass out and back or 7135 feet total up vertical though the mileage is considerably longer. Thus the logic of that popular semi loop though one pays with an extra day of travel.
Since that recent flash flood along the Shepherd Pass Trail, there is an extra 100 or so feet gain each way because you have to go up to get around the big gully before Anvil Camp; so add a good 200 feet to an out-and-back trip via Shepherd Pass.

I came up with about 14,000' gain from the Shepherd Pass Trailhead to Milestone Peak and back out again.