Bear Attacks

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Bear Attacks

Post by jessegooddog »

7 people attacked by bears in other states over the weekend, including a sleeping camper in Colorado. I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow? When was the last time a hiker in the sierra was injured by a bear for no apparent reason? I don't recall reading anything in decades.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Attacks

Post by Vaca Russ »

I think this happened last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X7xqZaTuk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

jessegooddog wrote: I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow?
The benign California climate and being well-fed play a large role, quite likely. ;)
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I watched the video - the bear was after a cooler outside the tent, the guy went out to defend the cooler...bear ended up getting shot. Idiots.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Black bears are generally non aggressive to humans. Just don't get between them and their young or their food. We have black bears all around us here in the Applachians, and seldom hear of human attacks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5683&start=0&hilit=bear+attacks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

As a twentysomething, there were probably a lot more dangerous black bears here in California than now. Authorities killed lots of human habituated to food bears decades ago and then began executing repeat problem bears after some managed to return to problem areas after being dumped elsewhere miles away. I can certainly recall some I met in northeastern Yosemite back in those days that were aggressive and mean.

I will speculate most remaining California black bears have been habituated to the dangers of humans and sows teach their cubs. There are still some remote forested areas here in California where humans rarely visit and any bear in such areas ought to be considered potentially more dangerous. Especially up in the Trinity and Salmon River wilderness areas. In more remote Canada areas where some black bears are more likely to have never had human encounters, serious attacks have always been more common.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

jessegooddog wrote:I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow?
The illegal, large scale marijuana groves? :pancho
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

caddis wrote:
jessegooddog wrote:I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow?
The illegal, large scale marijuana groves? :pancho
They're more dangerous than the bears...
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

In SE Alaska, the black bears are just as feared as grizzlies because they will actually eat you, whereas a grizzly will sometimes let you off with just a good mauling.

Sierra black bears are like wary, over-sized pu$$y cats.