Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

Post by longri »

giantbrookie wrote:Note that Secor, 2nd edition considers North Col and Cox Col synonymous rather than separate passes. Quote: "This pass is also known as North Col."
That's true. In his first edition Secor says that Cox Col is the only route available and says nothing about North Col. In his second edition he says that North Col is another name for Cox Col, and still describes a route near the low point. In his third edition he treats the two seperately, adding that Cox Col can be icy and may require an axe, and that North Col is the preferred route since it avoids the "steep loose slopes" and "seasonal snowfields" of Cox Col.

So he changed his mind, possibly in reaction to reports of people having problems with the "class 2" on Cox Col.

I agree that you can't rely on the guidebook 100%. I heard one story from a friend where Secor himself was on a trip to climb a peak and insisted on going a certain way because that's how it was described in his own guidebook. The others disagreed with him. So Secor went the way his own guidebook said and the others went their way. Eventually Secor discovered his way didn't work and he had to turn around and join them. There was more to this story and I wish I could tell it in the way I heard it because it was hilarious.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

While it doesn't seem to be mentioned in David Brower's Manual of Ski Mountaineering 1942, there are certainly photos take from the vicinity (both sides) of the col. Personally I've been skiing over it since the very early '80's.

There are variations on most passes, so it seems silly to name every point within a couple hundred yards of one another when they all lead to the same place. It's just a different route on the same pass. I've crossed Muir Pass north of the JMT but that doesn't make it another "pass".

As GB said, many times the optimal passage is over a high or "higher" point; McCabe "pass", near the summit of Ansel Adams and over the top of the high point north of Tunemah I've found to be the easiest ways.

But, I guess if you write the guide book, you can name anything you want!
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
manny
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by manny »

acvdmlac,

I'm planning on doing this very trip next week (just ran across your post). First nite (Monday 8/26) - Dade Lake, Day 2 will be over North Col and Gabbot pass. Hope to take in Pioneer Basin before headding back over Mono Pass.

I spoke with someone near Dade Lake last year that was on his way down from Bear Creek Spire. When I asked about North Col (the higher point north of Cox Col) he said that if you fall, "you'll just fall on the ground". Sounds like class 2 to me.

If the weather cooperates and we are able to drag our old bodies over North Col, I should have a nice TR for you.

Now I'll check the mosquito and fishing reports......

Manny
bmorrow
Topix Newbie

Post by bmorrow »

I crossed Gabbot Pass last week (from the south). No snow in the area. Gabbot Pass is one of the easier non-trail Sierra passes. North Col will be physically taxing but poses no particular challenges or dangers (unlike Cox Coll).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Bmorrow,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the update! Hopefully you will delight us with a TR
of your trip there. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
macpaulster
Topix Novice

Post by macpaulster »

Hi,

Literally just got back from this trip in reverse. We hiked over Mono Pass, starting in early afternoon. Spent the night at Golden Lake, then headed toward Pioneer Basin. Dropped some gear at the trail junction and explored Pioneer Basin by making a loop with light packs. Totally worth it! Then picked up the gear, and proceeded to Second Recess and camped part way up the trail. Next day was Gabbot Pass, a beast of 4,000' climb from that direction (it's easy from the South (Italy Lake). Our route finding wasn't perfect and we ended up hacking through some Willows on the way, but once things cleared out at Lower Mills Lake, it was a cake walk. Spent a layover day in Italy Lake Basin before heading up to "Cox Col." Secor's book says the easy route is SOUTH of the low notch. We took that route, and trust me, it isn't Class 2. Probably due to the dry year and lots of traffic, it was very loose and extremely tricky to navigate in the down climb direction. I wouldn't do it again. Wish I knew about North Col. Secor's book also says that Cox Col is the only reasonable crossing so we took that literally.

But... it was a splendid trip. We spent the night after Cox Col at the lower of Treasure Lakes with a spectacular view to the North down the Little Lakes Valley. Much quieter than Gem Lakes.

If you have any other questions about current conditions, let me know. Have fun!