Tips for backpacking solo

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tips for backpacking solo

Post by markskor »

rlown wrote:... if you change your mind mid-step, drop another note.
When I change my mind mid-step solo (quite the regular occurrence actually), usually a day's hike in too, often off-trail.
Where then do you suggest, should one "drop" that other note?
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Right where you are, with a nice piece of fluorescent tape attached. 2' would be nice.

If you're still in camp, then there.

If you don't care to be found and accept responsibility, then who really cares. You did it your way. Make that clear and don't waste peoples time looking for you, right up front. And be courteous if you actually want to be found.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

rlown wrote:...don't waste peoples time ...and be courteous.
I guess the best ploy would then be to leave a polite note under a duck? :p
Mountainman who swims with trout
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Tip: sleep in a hammock (1.) you will at least be able to see what's around you; (2.) lighter (3.) quicker to set-up and take down; (4.) no need to find a campsite -- you can go farther with less weight. ***
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by jessegooddog »

Hammocks are great in Topanga, but I don't want to wake up with ice in my hair!
Cheetahwoka
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cheetahwoka »

Timely that y'all are talking about this, because I have been envisioning bread crumbs of this sort. Yes I'm still here and I should get back to packing but I couldn't resist thanking y'all for your well wishes.

A couple weeks ago I was on yet another solo trip up Sphinx Lakes, and slipped and tumbled in the talus for the first time. Dinged up but ok, just another little sign from the goddess that I really should be using the buddy system. Especially since I am health insurance-less.

So in addition to the normal leaving of itineraries, both at home and in my car, and not being able to afford a SPOT account at this time, I started envisioning leaving notes and sign when I went off-trail. Like with a little rock on top, with Name/Date, "Going solo up Sphinx Creek to all lakes in basin, returning to pick up this note by (date). If you find this note after (return date), please give to ranger in case I'm in trouble, thanks." Or "(Name/Date) Going up Sphinx Basin solo, continuing loop over ___ to East Lake. Please don't trash this until after (some date well after I should return) just in case, thanks." Or "(Name/Date) This is a breadcrumb for safety. Please don't trash until (date), thanks". Maybe we could start a trend of leaving tobacco can registers, like peak registers, at XC lakes, for safety.

Then I envisioned people's wilderness experience annoyed by this note-leaving trend and had mixed feelings. Sometimes I leave clear boot prints from time to time, on purpose, on an XC route when I"m solo, just in case. In any case, I'm thinking about bread crumbs more and more. Being on SAR makes me know too much, and besides, if I got in trouble (heaven forbid) I'd never hear the end of it..

I've talked to many XC hikers, some even at trailheads, that have trouble finding compatible partners. Seems the more remote folks want to go, and the more skilled they get, the pickier they are about EXACTLY where and how they go, and don't find common ground (pun not intended, but that was pretty good). Either that, or they aren't yet very skilled and don't want to do much off-trail, or they don't have enough time to do the trip at the pace/ability they need to do it at. In any case, even though I live right next to SEKI, most of the local population have never even been to the big trees.

Thanks for the love, and back to packing..
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

These days I'm solo most of the time. About 12 years or so ago I did my first short solo backpacking trip because I was always the slowest one on group trips and tired of the stress of having to try to keep up or feeling bad about holding everyone up. I still occasionally go with others, but not often because I really enjoy the freedom that goes along with being solo. When I headed out alone the first time I was afraid that I would be scared at night and not be able to sleep. That's not what happened at all because I slept like a log that first night and was never afraid again.

I don't have a spot, I don't leave an itinerary, and I don't always get a permit. I know that this increases the risk that I will go into the backcountry and not make it back out some day. I keep saying I'm going to invest in one of those personal locator beacons, but I haven't yet. I suppose if I still had a child or anyone else dependent on me I would be more concerned, but I don't.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I did my first solo trips when I was in my early 30s. The first one was to Sunrise Lakes, which was a sentimental journey for me since Sunrise was my first backpack when I was 17 or so. I was nervous and excited. But I knew the trail and the area. The closer I got to the lake, the more excited I became. I was so cautious, though, that I even told a man that stopped to talk with me that my boyfriend was coming up behind me on the trail. I was a little fearful at night but then told myself that I had already spent many nights out and knew what night sounds there might be. In the morning, I heard coyotes and loved it. Soon after I went to Ten Lakes Basin from Tuolumne solo, which was a farther trip and a trail new to me.
Last year I did an 8-day solo, which was my longest. All on trail to the Silver Divide, Lake of the Lone Indian, and back. I used ear plugs for the first time. I slept well and didn't mind not hearing
the little critters that might be scampering around in the dark, though I missed the sound of the wind in the pines. I've gone solo a handful of times. Mostly because I've had groups and a partner to hike with.
I like being alone in general and I wanted to solo to find out how it would feel. I wanted to be able to go when I wanted to and plan my own itinerary. I loved the solitude and observing a bird, colorful rocks in a stream, the play of light on granite, or critters scampering in the grass that I would otherwise miss if someone was with me. I love sharing the experience too but it's empowering to know that there is nothing to fear in being alone. Though I saw people on most of my solo trips, I always felt alone because in fact I was. People come and go on the trail or at a nearby campsite and although I love to say hello and perhaps chat, that doesn't in any way (for me) assuage the feeling and knowledge that I am alone. (I have a SPOT)
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I too find that I am primarily a solo hiker. My days off are weird so it is hard to find a partner, but to be honest, I like being alone. The only time I am not comfortable in the backcountry is when I get to camp too early. Then I can get a bit bored until I rest long enough to go out and explore. It is in those times that I have nothing going on that I will feel a bit of loneliness. I admit that I usually pick places to go that are on trail, but out of the way enough that I rarely am sharing a camp spot with others. My wife likes the idea that if I get hurt someone will be by to bring help.

This last weekend I did my first real X-country route and spent a night at Iceland Lake where I saw no one for a day and a half. I have to say that it was totally awesome and slept like a baby even though the wind was blowing pretty good. That was until I woke up to "someone" tapping me on the shoulder :eek: It turned out that one of the guy-lines on my Contrail had come loose and the tent was hitting my shoulder in the wind, but let me tell you, I was WIDE awake for about 30 seconds, then I figured it out rolled over and went back to sleep without even fixing it.

There were just two times this trip when I wished I had someone with me. The first was watching the most amazing Alpine-glow I have ever seen, and the other was on the X-country trip out as I lost my camera. There is a good possibility that a partner would have heard it fall out and hit the granite. Unfortunately now I will not be able to share that experience with anyone :angry: #-o :crybaby:
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

[quote="MountainMinstrel The only time I am not comfortable in the backcountry is when I get to camp too early. Then I can get a bit bored until I rest long enough to go out and explore. [/quote]

I felt this way on the 8-day trip. I'm an early riser and so left camp each day at around 7:30 or 8 and arrived at my destination at around noon or 1. I had too much extra time (and too much food as it turns out, but not complaining about that ;) for the trip I'd planned. I could have done a longer route easily and as it was the trip was shortened by one day. I'm glad I had a couple of good books.
Still, I felt a little lonely in the afternoon, which is the time I feel most at loose ends and melancholy. If I'm with someone at this time, even in silence, it's easier for me. Like you, when I was camped at Lake of the Lone Indian, I spent a lot of time exploring.