Two 14ers in One Day

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Two 14ers in One Day

Post by Vaca Russ »

Recently I bagged two 14ers in one day (Puffs out chest! :cool: ).

Sport had Whitney on her “bucket list” and I thought, “Hell, if I’m climbing all the way up there I’m taking out Muir as well!” This in spite of the fact I have zero rock climbing skills.

We started by acclimating for three nights at Horseshoe Meadow and CL #4.
01 Ski Hut.jpg
1 Camp.jpg
We spent our time enjoying each other’s company at the base of Army Pass. :D
2 Lake #4.jpg
We also spent time fishing.
3 Fish.JPG
After 3 nights we headed down to Lone Pine. We had a beast to tackle.
4 Distant Whitney.jpg
Our early alpine start afforded us the opportunity to capture some alpenglow.
5 Alpenglow.jpg
Soon we found ourselves at Trail Camp. There is a reason why we need to secure our food. #-o
5a Trail Camp Mess.jpg
From Trail Camp you have an excellent view of the eastern escarpment.
6 eastern buttress.jpg
You find these cables half way up the notorious switchbacks.
7 cables.jpg
After you cross Trail Crest the trail can get a little sketchy.
8 sketchy trail.jpg
To be continued…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Two 14ers in One Day

Post by Vaca Russ »

You have an excellent view of :rock: :rock: Guitar Lake :rock: :rock: from the western side of the escarpment.
9 guitar lake.JPG
Eventually you do reach the summit.
10 cabin.jpg
11 Notice in Cabin.jpg
12 benchmark.jpg
13 Summit.jpg
Sport bagged the mountain behind her (Langley) three weeks earlier.
14 Sport & Langley.jpg
We had fun on the summit but I was determined to bag Whitney’s little brother to the south.
14a Muir.jpg
At this point Sport and I went our separate ways. She declined to join my climb up the scree slope and had 5 good reasons why.

1. She is way, way smarter than me.
2. She has much more common sense than me.
3. Her cognitive capacity trumps mine by far.
4. Climbing a class 3 rock with no equipment, training or experience is just plain dumb.
5. She knows Muir is going nowhere and we’ll do it again after we get the equipment, training and experience.

So, I was on my own.
15 Chimney.JPG
I made it up.
16 Vaca Russ.JPG
And I made it down. I had skinned knees and elbows but the climb was exhilarating! I caught up with Sport on the switchbacks. I think I made it because of my special genetic disposition.
020.JPG
Jestem Polakiem!!

The people known as the world’s greatest climbers:

Jerzy “Jurek” Kukuczka, Andrzej Czok, Andrzej Zawada,
And more…
Kinga Baranowska, Anna Barańska, Maciej Berbeka, Adam Bielecki, Tytus Chałubiński, Leszek Cichy, Bronisław Czech, Anna Czerwińska, Jan Długosz , Ryszard Gajewski, Artur Hajzer, Zygmunt Andrzej Heinrich, Konstanty Jodko-Narkiewicz, Zygmunt Klemensiewicz, Janusz Kurczab, Wojciech Kurtyka, Janusz Majer, Antoni Malczewski, Piotr Morawski, Janusz Onyszkiewicz, Maciej Pawlikowski, Ryszard Pawłowski, Tadeusz Piotrowski, Piotr Pustelnik, Wanda Rutkiewicz, Marian Smoluchowski, Jan Alfred Szczepański,Mieczysław Szczuka, Krzysztof Wielicki, Martyna Wojciechowska, Mariusz Zaruski,Wawrzyniec Żuławski

Thanks for reading my post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaca Russ on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by kd6swa »

How much wind was there on the summit?
Could you go into the Smithsonian Hut or see into it?

KD6SWA
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Great report--- great year continues: fishing AND peak bagging up and down the Sierra. Great tribute to Polish climbing legends, too. I am an armchair mountaineer, rather than truly being part of the mountaineering community, but through my reading I am familiar with quite a few of the names on the list (ie more than just Kukuczka whom I assume everyone knows).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Yes, Professor, we have had a very busy year. Especially when you consider we don't post all of our trips. Trips including taking children to easy access, backcountry, Top Secret, fishing lakes.
z TS Kids.jpg
And trips to other sensitive, off trail, Top Secret, fishing lakes.
z TS Lake.jpg
There are some places we go that are to be never discussed on line! [-X [-X [-X

Bob, it was not at all windy. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. \:D/

The cabin is split into two rooms. You can access the room to the south through to door with the lightening warning posted. The note from the National Park Service was posted in that room. Have the Federales not heard of Microsoft "Word" and a printer? :)

Thanks for the comments,

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Congratulations Russ!! Would liked to have seen some pictures of your climb up to Muir
and some views from the summit.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Wow, two in one day. It took me 16 years to bag two, neither one of them Whitney.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

maverick wrote:Congratulations Russ!! Would liked to have seen some pictures of your climb up to Muir
and some views from the summit.
OK, Maverick! "Sport" wanted to climb this peak as well. She managed to make it to the top on Monday.
865.JPG
She also bagged Whitney. Now she has bagged two 14ers in one day. Look forward to the upcoming report. I remembered your request and took some more pictures of the climb. :nod:

Thanks,

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.