Miscellaneous ramblings…

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Miscellaneous ramblings…

Post by markskor »

Miscellaneous ramblings…

Not as many bag nights as last year but still a good 2+ months backpacking my Sierra so far. Weather was sometimes sketchy but the fishing fine. Additionally, spent a few nights in Yosemite Valley, taking art classes in the Village…(BTW, leaving again Monday.) FYI, Aline the Art Class curator does an amazing job here…professional artists are readily accessible for cheap… (But probably does not bring in any major coin to Delaware North.)

In Yosemite Valley not impressed with Delaware North – (the idiots now running all the concessions…BTW whose contract is up for renewal soon.)
The once famous Curry Buffet breakfast has been replaced by a pay-by-item regime…much employee disgust… many now see as this as a money-grabbing rip-off…$3.50 for cold pancakes? Pizza prices are also up…$10 for a burger and fries combo.

The 40-year-old tradition of the Barn Dance in Wawona is now cancelled over cost issues…(no regard for history?) Both Pepper Jack cheese as well as rye bread discontinued at Degnon’s – cost issues again. The art classes in Wawona discontinued as not bringing enough money in. (Anybody see a pattern?)

The head wilderness ranger in Tuolumne (best ever at his job!) is leaving the permit desk next week as no benefits offered him after 11 magnificent years. Well trained, the wilderness desk with Jen, Rosa, etal will continue but not be as bright. Thanks for all Craig! The off-site Half Dome lottery (next day type) is a joke.

A raft rental…The color of the rafts was changed from Brown to Aqua because the head of Delaware decided (from looking down atop the big falls) it a better color…waste of money issue. High Tea at the Ahwahnee now restricted to room key holders only…too much trail trash.

Plenty of (un-bought) packages of tofu curd, curry eggrolls, miso dim sum, etc in Tuolumne store but no Mac-n-Cheese or Crystal lite seen. Seems that the ordering is not done at the store anymore? Tuolumne Store complex was a real hoot earlier in the year, especially with all the PCT traffic. The crew up there does a great job…(well, some Lodge folk have a bit of attitude). Harry (and his hat) - always a smile there. Nobody ever tips the crew at the Tuolumne burger counter…One dollar once and a smile gets me gigantic swirl cones every time, the rest of the entire summer. The backpacker camp up there is the cleanest of any camp seen…never saw a Ranger…Great job everyone.

Most people in Yosemite are only doing 4 trails: PCT/JMT, Sunrise – LYV, Glen Aulin, HD…all other trailheads were wide open all summer.

TPR has good pie. The BBQ place in Bishop works very well after 15 days in…good chili and corn bread too.

A bear atop Snow Creek trail has figured out how to open any bear can. This bear raids the oft-used camp above/just before that 3000 foot drop-off…and throws the cans over the ledge.

Active mountain lion in the park…multiple sightings LYV/Tenaya Canyon area.

Someone committed suicide by flying a wing suit off El Cap…into the wall… (A note found.)

Still confused as to why no potable water at Valley backpacker site…others issues exist there too but better left silent here.

Caught the Persiad Meteor shower on North Dome…cool! Just 2 weeks prior, the smoke prohibitive - extreme.

21 new bear signs in the park so far.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Miscellaneous ramblings…

Post by rlown »

But Mark. How do you really feel, knowing that most of the money we spend in the NPS goes towards the full-time workers pensions? :(

I don't think people get tradition anymore.

Hopefully your year isn't over yet. I think mine is.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

markskor wrote:
In Yosemite Valley not impressed with Delaware North – (the idiots now running all the concessions…BTW whose contract is up for renewal soon.)
The once famous Curry Buffet breakfast has been replaced by a pay-by-item regime…much employee disgust… many now see as this as a money-grabbing rip-off…$3.50 for cold pancakes? Pizza prices are also up…$10 for a burger and fries combo.

Really!!! No more Curry Buffet!!! I am sorry to hear that news. That is extremely unfortunate.
:( :crybaby: :eek: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Thanks for the info,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

Sounds so much like Disneyland they need a park hopper pass. I don't know if I'll ever go back to the valley.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I am glad someone is getting out....It has been a busy summer for me and have only got out twice. Yosemite is just doing like the rest of the country....turning into a cheap imitation with inflated prices....the ol' bait and switch.

Forget all that nonsense though...I want to hear about where you went in the back country!
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

The last time I was in Yosemite Valley was way back in 1972, as a child. Between your observations and what i've heard from others -combined with the crowds- I have no desire to return there.

Oh well, nowadays I prefer the Eastern Sierras, anyhow.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The spectacular scenery is still there! Just go off-season. I could care less about what Curry Village serves at a buffet. I still do a couple of trips each spring as "conditioners", before Glacier Point Road opens. Pohono-Panorama is one of my favorites. Also the trek up the Merced at peak water flow. And the north rim. I simply do not expect wilderness in the valley; I actually get a good laugh watching the "touri". I do not use the services that you pay for, so the price does not matter. You will not catch me in Yosemite Valley peak season or even the fall when it is still too hot. Winter is also a great time to enjoy the valley. Week before Christmas, and often I am one of only a handful at Camp4. I bring my Christmas cards, go to the Awahanee, sit by the fire, and write letters to put in the cards. At night I go back to Camp4 and snuggle into two sleeping bags. They heat the bathrooms in the winter!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Amen to Sparky! ZERO bag nights so far this year, but I'm hoping to get out (here in the east) in the fall, when it can really be quite beautiful. (Not to mention not unbearably hot and humid for hiking.) Thanks much for the rambling, Mark! Hope to hook up with some of you guys... well, "anon" is about the best I can do. *Sigh*
—B²