Eastern Sierra Backpack - October 28-29 (and 30th?)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Eastern Sierra Backpack - October 28-29 (and 30th?)

Post by Snow Nymph »

I think this is a great idea! I haven't been there yet.
Trekker wrote:I'm going to put in a vote for Matlock Lake, out of Onion Valley. I've never been there, but from the pics and descriptions I've read, it looks like a beautiful area. :thumbsup: There are a number of advantages to the Cottonwood area.

1. Easier drive in and out.
2. More central to both north and south travelers.
3. Easier hike in.
4. Probably more sheltered from the weather than Cottonwood lakes.
5. Various on and off trail opps within fairly good range.

I think this is my choice! :nod:
I can only stay for the weekend, but others may want to stay longer. I have 3 Bearikades that we can use.

I'll start a list tonight on who's going, including those who weren't sure.
Last edited by Snow Nymph on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Im going to the southwest to visit family on the first and will need that weekend to get ready. Trail Bud had put my name in knowing Im up for most weekends. Gonna try to get out the next couple weekends.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Sounds like a great trip, but I don't think I can make it that weekend. (Could probably have done the weekend of the 15th or 22nd.)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I think this is the list of those interested

Snow Nymph
Trekker
krudler
Huts
Trailtrekker
Trail Bud & Ryan
Skibum
Ranboze
and a few others that talked about it thru e-mail

Ridgeline and quentinc, the 14-15th and possibly the 21-22nd (waiting to hear back) might work for me if you want to do a separate trip. My plans for this month fell apart, so right now I'm not sure what I'm doing.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

Russ
Topix Newbie

The Weekend Prior

Post by Russ »

I'm a total newbie to this site, but my friend and I (both 26 and full of energy) are going to Cottonwood the weekend prior to this (Oct 21st) for a weekend trip. We both are pretty new to backpacking (from Chicago area until 3 years ago), but have absolutely fallen in love with it. It will be our first semi cold weather trip, so we're hoping our resourcefulness will make up for our lack of gear and experience. Anyways, the invitation is open to anyone who can't make it the following weekend to Onion Valley, or for that matter, to anyone who would like to do both. We're located in the OC, and will probably be heading up Friday afternoon.

Oh yeah, I'm considering Domelands because of the weather factor, so keep that in mind.
No man is an island
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Hi Russ,

A few of us are getting together on the 22nd, for a dayclimb. Not sure where yet. Maybe I'll stop by Cottonwood Lakes for a warmup hike on the 21st. I've been wanting to check out the old trail. Where are you hiking to? I will probably camp at Horseshoe Meadows to sleep high.

And anyone else that can't make the 28th, plan is to dayclimb Sunday - Tues (22nd - 24th). Still trying to figure out where to go, so if anyone has suggestions, post here! :D

krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Hi!

Just got back from Tehipite (more later, I promise) but I need to mention that despite my initial eagerness to join the trip I think I am going to have to back out now as my father-in-law is dying of lung cancer and it looks like the end time has come very quickly and is getting near. I am probably (almost surely) going to be involved in services and whatnot, and as the executor of the will with all kinds of less-than-pleasant business back in Florida cleaning up loose ends and whatnot.

There's still a remote chance of course, but I'm not planning on it :( So, have a good time nonetheless!

Russ, DomeLand rules!! :) But I'll probably miss my annual fall trip(s) there this year too :(
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

krudler wrote:Hi!

Just got back from Tehipite (more later, I promise) but I need to mention that despite my initial eagerness to join the trip I think I am going to have to back out now as my father-in-law is dying of lung cancer and it looks like the end time has come very quickly and is getting near. I am probably (almost surely) going to be involved in services and whatnot, and as the executor of the will with all kinds of less-than-pleasant business back in Florida cleaning up loose ends and whatnot.
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. On a lighter note, it goes without saying that we can't wait to hear about Tehipite.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

Hey there all,

I was in Sequoia Monday - Wednesday on the west slope. Tuesday morning I awoke to 1" of snow at 7000 feet. Mt. Goddard and McGee were blanketed. Snow level was 10,000 feet by Tuesday night and I could not see much else. By Wednesday night....90% of the new snow had burned off....the Great Western Divide looked as if it hadn't been hit by much snow at all....but the Evolution region looked as if travel would be a problem in some areas..... No telling what the East side was like as I had views of the sunny slopes (west and south faces) primarily. I was headed back this weekend but there are some severe weather alerts for Saturday so we'll play it by ear. Based on what I saw earlier this week and on what's happening now in the Southern Siearra/Southern Nevada....it doesn't look like the storm activity is yielding much snow that's likely to stick....for the time being....maybe this helps

Good Luck & have Fun , PC
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Hi, I was up on Kennedy Pass/ Mountain , Thursday 10/12. There was a bit of lingering snow on north slopes of Monarch divide, but the Palisades and Goddard divide still had some cover on their south and west upper slopes.