Rock hoppin' or sloppin'?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Rock hoppin' or sloppin'?

Post by giantbrookie »

I can see the rationale for a large group of making everyone wade. As for myself, I wade only if I can't cross comfortably via a log or logs, or by rock hopping. "Comfortably" will vary considerably for everyone, and it varies for me depending on how I feel at that time of the day, too as well as the degree of difficulty of the logs and rocks, and the potential consequences of a slip. I see no reason to get my feet wet if I don't have to, but I also avoid doing anything too strenuous simply for the sake of staying dry.

Over the years, I have tended to like rock hopping, whether it be across streams, or big boulders in talus piles, but I recognize that with age my agility and balance will no doubt decline and I'll probably consider wading at crossings where I might have routinely bounced across in the past.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

I have been fortunately blessed with very good balance and ankles, so I have no problem rock hopping with a full pack (bring on those big talus fields!).

However, when necessary, I will wade. I bring a pair of Merrell Trail Glove shoes specifically for such crossings (they make great camp shoes at the end of the day, too).
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

When I did the JMT with my step-brother in 1980, we each had an old pair of tennis shoes in our packs that we donned for creek crossings. Does anybody do that anymore?
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Whats the sketchy-est (is that a word?) stream crossing you have ever done? Craziest log? Deepest ford? Scariest whitewater?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

sparky wrote:Whats the sketchy-est (is that a word?) stream crossing you have ever done? Craziest log? Deepest ford? Scariest whitewater?
I'd say the worst I've done was the notorious Bubbs Creek Jct. Mdw crossing at the beginning of June (or end of May), 1979. I recall some sort of a log, then this jump onto rock that was slightly submerged followed by another fairly long hop to mellow water or the shore. I slip off the submerged rock had a good chance of being fatal. My buddy and I roped for this, but the rope would not have done much good had we really slipped into the worst of it. In years after that if I came to a crossing that looked even close to that I aborted or modified the trip to avoid the crossing.

2nd worst were two crossings on an Edyth Lake trip in May 1986. These were of Bartlett and Kibbie Creeks. The Bartlett one coming out was much worse than on the way in, as was the Kibbie crossing. Both were very energetic white water and both of these crossing were wading crossings. I think my buddy bashed his toe pretty badly on one of those crossings.

In July 1993 Judy and I gazed at Palisade Creek at Deer Mdw hoping to cross to climb up Cataract Creek en route to the Dumbbells. The creek was so high I pretty much said we would have to turn back but we could look for a magic log before we gave up. A bit of searching upstream found just that: a really big magic log. This must have been a really big log, because even Judy felt OK crossing it--she hates crossing logs even over easy water, let alone crossing one over potentially fatal water.

Once while doing field work along the N. Fork Feather River (roadless stretch of it), there was no bridge where the topo said there should be. The flows were not high enough to be hazardous and it was a hot (high 80's at least) day, so I swam across holding my all non waterproof stuff (like my map with the data on it) above my head so it wouldn't get wet. Certainly not a "hairy" crossing, but it's the only one where I actually swam.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

giantbrookie wrote:I can see the rationale for a large group of making everyone wade. As for myself, I wade only if I can't cross comfortably via a log or logs, or by rock hopping. "Comfortably" will vary considerably for everyone, and it varies for me depending on how I feel at that time of the day, too as well as the degree of difficulty of the logs and rocks, and the potential consequences of a slip. I see no reason to get my feet wet if I don't have to, but I also avoid doing anything too strenuous simply for the sake of staying dry.

Over the years, I have tended to like rock hopping, whether it be across streams, or big boulders in talus piles, but I recognize that with age my agility and balance will no doubt decline and I'll probably consider wading at crossings where I might have routinely bounced across in the past.
This is why we need a "Thanks" feature for SierraTopix. This post pretty much summed it up perfectly for me and I'd be curious to to how many others feel the same way
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

caddis wrote:This is why we need a "Thanks" feature for SierraTopix. This post pretty much summed it up perfectly for me and I'd be curious to to how many others feel the same way
You just implemented it. The reply. Provides more context to the "why" of a thanks than a button ever would.

I don't like to get my boots wet inside. If the crossing is shallow (not above the boot, I'll walk through it other than taking a log. Goretex don't fail me now. A fall off the log would be worse than a boot overflow.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

When I did the JMT with my step-brother in 1980, we each had an old pair of tennis shoes in our packs that we donned for creek crossings. Does anybody do that anymore?
Yes. I use running shoes for creek crossings and as campsite shoes.

As I've aged and my balance has become shakier and my leaping ability decreased and, thus, my confidence less, I wade more than I used to. Except for the time lost taking off my boots and socks and putting on the running shoes, it's no big deal. And worrying about the time while backpacking is rather silly.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

Fast is priority number one, dry is number two. Normally it's hopping or jumping or finding a log. If there is no dry method, I simply bash through without much thought. Cherry Creek, above my knees, just walked through in my shoes. It was a little cold and wet but it wasn't worth the trouble.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am sure that everyone assumes that safety is priority #1.

Fast may not be the most efficient, if the risk of a tumble going fast is high. Fast is great if you do not fall in! Fall in, and then you spend more time drying out, finding lost stuff and attending to perhaps injuries. I think a lot of people over-rate "dry". I feel the wet feet-blisters is a myth. Tight shoes and heat cause more blisters. If however you are getting feet wet during the day, I find that sleeping without socks at night helps keep the skin from getting tender.

Most hikers are not fully aware of the dangers of falling off a log. Where there are logs, there are usually lots of other debris in the stream. Fall off, and get swept under a downstream debris pile and you drown. Also unbuckle your hip belt (this goes deep fords too). You really want to be able to quickly get free of the pack if you fall in. There is a dilemma with serious rock hopping - you are more stable with the waist strap tight, yet if you fall, it is safer to have the waist strap (and sternum strap) off.

Almost There may be able to chime in. She works with SAR. I believe that drowning is one of the major causes of death in the Sierra.