Snow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wingding

Snow

Post by wingding »

There's lots of new snow in the Sierra and this morning it looked like more was on the way as I drove down 395.
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Baffman »

From what I can find, Tioga is still open. I heard it was closed, but can't find any hard info on that. I was planning on a 3 day loop in Tuolumne Meadows on Wednesday. I read that there is no parking anywhere along 120 and I took it to include the parking lot at the TM Wilderness Center as well. I was going to park there and return after 3 days. Am I getting this right? If so, I'll go elsewhere weather permitting. I tried to call, but nothing but a phone menu and recordings on the weekend.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Maybe they didn't get the storm north of Bishop. The weather forecast said that it was supposed to be worse in the Bishop area than in the Mammoth area.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Tioga

Post by gdurkee »

Tioga was closed for a day (as was Sonora, 108) from that last small storm. Both are now open.

g.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Thanks. Welcome home George.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

[quote="Baffman"] I was planning on a 3 day loop in Tuolumne Meadows on Wednesday. I read that there is no parking anywhere along 120 and I took it to include the parking lot at the TM Wilderness Center as well. I was going to park there and return after 3 days. Am I getting this right? quote]

You can't park anywhere in the parking lots or along Tioga road (or Glacier Point road) after October 15 every year. I have always assumed they made this rule because if there are winter storms before this date they will eventually plow the road and you will be able to get your car out.

However if it snows after October 15 they may not plow until the following spring. If you are parked along the Tioga road your car cannot be retrieved until then. (And you would have to hike out to the valley.)
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Sounds like I may go elsewhere then. Damn. Thanks for the confirmation of my fears.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

My husband and I hiked out of Cottonwood Lakes last Friday 10/13 in a snowstorm. This was a southern storm, where that area got snow and the area north of Bishop was totally clear. There was about three inches of snow on the ground near the trailhead. I doubt it's melting much--it's very very cold up there right now. It was five degrees F last Wednesday night at 11,400 feet.