Route Planning - Rodgers Pass to Blue Lake Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
desertdawg
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Route Planning - Rodgers Pass to Blue Lake Pass

Post by desertdawg »

What is the shortest route from the north from Rodgers Pass to Blue Lake Pass? I have searched the web with no help. On the map it looks possible to go south on the Lyell Fork then through a saddle west of Mt Ansel Adams. Looks somewhat intimidating on Google Earth.

I cannot find any info on this route though.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: Route Planning - Rodgers Pass to Blue Lake Pass

Post by John Dittli »

I'm not sure that pass west of AA really "goes". There is a chute just east of AA that I have passed thru on skis. Otherwise, continue south over the north ridge of Foerster Pk at 12,000' and continue south around to Blue Lake Pass.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Your asking about Foerster Ridge (class 2) which will give you access between the
Lyell Fork and Foerster Creek under Blue Lake Pass.
1. HST Map
TR and pictures to the area: http://www.yosemitenews.info/forum/read ... 9110,69179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
desertdawg
Topix Acquainted

Post by desertdawg »

Thanks for the tips. I was viewing the TR from Klas last night. Using modern technology (Earth). Klas's TR, and our maps we were able to put a route together.

Somehow I overlooked Forester Ride on the HST map.

Adventure starts tomorrow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Have a fun and safe trip! If you have the time please post a TR when you get back. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

The gap E of Foerster Peak (elev 11600+) is indeed one of the best, if not the best, of the class 2 routes from the Lyell Fork to the Blue Lake/Upper San Joaquin area. Another one that folks may not think of is to climb directly over the top of Electra Peak (Elev 12442). I did a dayhike loop from Blue Lakes that began by climbing Foerster, then dropping to the Lyell Fork via the gap E of Foerster on firm talus and slabs (class 2).

After enjoying the Lyell Fork a bit (and finding out the lakes are fishless), I then ascended the W Ridge of Electra Peak and descended the E Ridge of Electra Peak and sort of sidehilled and saddle hopped my way back to Blue Lakes. Both routes on Electra are rated class 2 in Secor. The E ridge (our descent) was certainly class 2 as well as the sidehilling back to the Blues. The W Ridge of Electra I'm not as sure about. It was certainly class 2 until the last 50 feet or so. I'm not sure if I missed a class 2 solution but I couldn't find one. That finish via two different solutions (straight up the ridge versus trying a bench and chimney to the S) was in fact class 3 (I did the latter one-handed because of two broken fingers on my left hand; my wife did the former). I'm willing to bet that some clever route finding can keep the Electra summit to entirely class 2, however.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;