Who has driven through Big Pine?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Who has driven through Big Pine?

Post by Vaca Russ »

The last time I was there my friend Bob (you know him as kd6swa) asked me if we saw the "Roosevelt Tree".
Teddy Tree.JPG

It is located just east of 395, just north of Big Pine.

If you pull back the branches you see this...
005.JPG
We thought, why not take a picture 100 years to the day?*? :D

Thanks Veterans!
008.JPG
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Who has driven through Big Pine?

Post by kd6swa »

Way to go Vaca Russ. Those young Sequoia trees have a perfect shape - kind of like a big Christmas tree! \:D/

KD6SWA
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I never knew about the history behind it. Passed it many times. Drove Westgaard Pass last year coming from Vegas (there is a stretch of one lane through a solid area) and stopped at the Indian interpretive site on the Owens side; but never knew why the tree. Thought it had to do with a teaser for the Bristlecone Pine area,
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for posting. I'll try to look for it the next time I'm in the area.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I always look for it and point out to new people in our group as being a Giant Sequoia. I never heard the history either. Thanks for sharing.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

We stopped in to see this yesterday evening. Then i they showed this tonight on californias gold, then i read this thread! Weird!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:thumbsup:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Hopefully I don’t highjack too much thunder from Big Pine. But……next time yalls driving through Lee Vining, swing into the Nicely’s parking lot. There is one of three Giant Sequoias that my great grandfather planted in Lee vining I think back in the 30s. When I was a kid there were two trees growing just fine. Mono County attempted to transplant one of the trees out of the parking lot when the current owner of Nicleys (not Edna Nicely) threatened to chop down the trees to expand the parking lot. The tree that was transplanted to the Hess Park in Lee Vining obviously didn’t make it. The other tree was spared due to public outcry and still stands today. It makes a good community Christmas Tree and is celebrated in Lee Vining every year. The third tree is a bit of a secret, but is located in an undisclosed location on the Lake View Lodge property. So, Lee Vining has two live Giant Sequoias at the moment of which my great grandfather planted. Come check em out!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Matt,

Your great grand father? Well, we will have to take some pictures on Thursday. :)

Look forward to a report later this week!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.