Ingredients to "augment" dehydrated dinners?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
WillieCash
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Ingredients to "augment" dehydrated dinners?

Post by WillieCash »

Any of the dehydrate Gumbo, rice and beans, etc... meals work great with trout.

Cut into small pieces and add to package before boiling wather. Wait an extra 5 minutes or so to be safe.
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

i use dehydrated mushrooms (shitake, etc) and put them in Top Ramen to flavor it up a bit. Works well, and having hot liquid when it's cold sure seems to brighten up my mood. Plus, it reminds me of college... :unibrow:
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Instead of trying to make a bland, over-salted packaged meal somehow less unappealing I bring a bunch of appetizers instead and put less emphasis on the main course. Lots of little snacks like japanese crackers, expensive cheeses, oil popped popcorn, chips and salsa, little smoked meats, nut mixes, etc. And of course all washed down with an ample supply of whisky. Then when it comes time for the rice and glop nobody really cares that much since tea and dessert is right around the corner anyways.

But if I had only a package of Mountain House for dinner I'd spice it up with equal parts Sriracha sauce and ranch dressing.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

I usually have a small pill box with a mixture of salt, garlic powder, cayenne powder, ground cumin, black pepper, and allspice. Put that in anything bland and that'll do you right! \:D/ \:D/
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Some easy ones I take are parmesan cheese packets and crushed red pepper (both from pizza places) along with tabasco or tapatio packets. Minimus sells all these along with other great items.

Ladd
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

apparently, you should add dehydrated Sriracha powder and avoid adding ranch dressing. :D
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the very best "ingredient";
(BTW, really picks up the taste of those B-n-B dehydrated dinners...)

Add trout!
Couple of red-meated, 12-inch, Goldens works well.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

It's been years since I've taken a long enough hike to do it, but there's nothing like fresh sprouts as a topper. You can sprout a new batch on the trail if you have a proper container and 2-4 days to do it.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Great suggestion Roo. I've been wanting to bring a sprout jar for a while now. Seems like a great way to get extra nutrition and energy. After about a week out I definitely crave veggies and feel tired.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

What mark said!

Just about anything you like can be dehydrated then added. "off the shelf" stuff I use are tubes of tomato paste (nice addition to freeze dryed stroganoff), tubes of pesto for pasta, crushed red pepper, garlic (nice to have markskor around to mince it before sauteing and adding to everything), and precooked bacon with freeze dryed mixed veggies can be added to instant mashed potatoes for a sort of shepards pie.

check out the bulk freeze dryed stuff at Walmart--The blueberries are to die for and are incredible when added to my morning oatmeal. Any left over blueberries at the end of the summer can be fall or winter snacks!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!