Mt Dana hike (TR)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mt Dana hike (TR)

Post by vitaminC »

As part of a trip to hike Mt Whitney, we started off "easy" with Mt Dana for an acclimatization hike. From what I had read on the web, it sounded like it was just a "use" trail up to the summit, so I was surprised to see that it is in fact a well established trail with cairns leading you all the way to the summit. There were a few places near the top where it was a little tricky to follow the trail, though interestingly I didn't have any such issues on the way back down. I'm mainly posting this because many people may not be aware that there is now an established trail to the top...

Interactive map here

Why yes, it is quite steep!

No shortage of flowers.

As that layer of smoke and smog got closer, the visibility decreased and the air become much less pleasant to breathe.

Really big cairns!

Flatest part of the hike.

Looking South and West

Looking North and East
Full 360 view is here

Heading back down. The trail is quite obvious here.

Not much signage just yet.

And finished it off with dinner at the Mobil Station and sunset at Mono Lake.

The rest of the pics are here. And if you're interested, pictures of the Mt Whitney hike are here.
----------------
Lots of photos
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt Dana hike (TR)

Post by texan »

Wow, there notg much snow up there. Thanks for sharing the trail report.

Texan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt Dana hike (TR)

Post by maverick »

Thanks VC for the TR and pictures. Those humongous cairns are ridiculous and take away
from the whole wilderness feel of the climb. :puke:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org