Pine creek ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Pine creek ?

Post by overheadx2 »

I am taking a few guys who fish out this weekend. We were planning on heading out of Edison, but the idea of hiking into the smoke doesn't sound very appealing. Since my friends want some fishing, I thought I might go up Pine creek. The entry is pretty rough, but the fishing up there is supposed to be great, and the idea of no crowds after last weekend at Mono pass sounded really nice. I thought that if I broke it up and stopped the first night at Upper Pine lake, and then went over the pass to French canyon it wouldn't be to bad. We would either camp in french canyon and day hike up to the lakes around Elba lake or just hike up there and spend a layover day fishing depending on what the group wants to do. Are there any descent camping spot at Elba ( other ideas)? What would markskor do (since it's fishing related)? What lakes are mandatory to check? Is the effort of pine creek just a bad idea? Thanks, Phil
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pine creek ?

Post by markskor »

overheadx2 wrote:What would markskor do?
Pine Creek trail is a long slog up.
Either Upper Pine (small fish) or Honeymoon Lake (lil better but...) would make a great first night. From Pine Creek Pass, instead of heading down French Canyon, go up...spend a few days visiting the Royce Lakes area (just above the Pine Creek Pass) and try for those 15+ inch Goldens. (I do believe we left you a few.)
Easily spend 3 days up there and avoid the 1000 foot drop into French Canyon.
BTW, no crowds at Royce Lakes.

Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks mark, any suggestions as to which Royce to has better camping? well be camping and then day hiking around. Any suggestions for fishing?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

PM sent.
Mountainman who swims with trout
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

French Canyon is certain to be smoky as it is also part of the San Joaquin River drainage.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

If you are headed for the east side, I think your buddies will be happier if you choose to go up via Piute Pass. Then, if you really want to head to French Canyon, you can get there by going though Humphreys Basin which has its own perks. Your fishing to hiking ratio is much better by that approach. However, as SSSDave notes,you may not avoid the smoke this way because you'll simply be in the headwaters of the same drainage in which the fire is burning.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I agree with GB. Piute Pass is much easier and you can get to French Canyon easily for HB. The mining road up to lower Pine Creek Lake seems to take forever.

Texan
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for all the replies. After my last hike I need a little more solitude and I thought the Pine Creek route may be nicer. I'm not to worried about the climb into the basin. i have some altitude issues and am not planning on hiking far the first day, so I can break up the climb over two days. I've decided that I am willing to do a little more work for more solitude. Humphries Basin seems like it might get a little crowded this time of year, where as pine creek and Royce lakes seems a little quieter. Besides, I've been up Piute a long time ago and have never seen the pine creek area. Thanks, Phil
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for all the intell. Just got back and had a great time (TR coming). Ended up hitting honeymoon lake, Royce lakes as well as French and steelhead lakes. Phil