Dehydrated Sriracha Powder

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Just found this and can't wait to try it. Anyone else a card-carrying Sriracha addict?

Yield: 1½ tablespoons
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 200°. Spread the Sriracha in a thin layer on a silpat-lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Dehydrate until completely dried, about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool at room temperature. Place the cooled Sriracha in a plastic bag and crush until finely ground. Use in tiny amounts as a garnish. (The dehydrated Sriracha is wildly intense.)

TT Tip: At Talde, the sriracha powder is folded into a homemade ranch dressing to make sri-rancha. Try it at home folded into store-bought ranch dressing, sprinkled atop deviled eggs or stirred into soup.

Read more: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detai ... z2bFAGoE5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Dehydrated Sriracha Powder

Post by rlown »

You lost me at Ranch Dressing. The most depressing taste on Earth. Work Blue Cheese into it and i'm a fan.

You can dehydrate anything.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by artrock23 »

I love Sriracha sauce! :thumbsup:

Dehydrating it sounds like way too much hassle, though. You know that it does come in little single-serving packets, like soy sauce, yes?

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

go with the packet, Eric. fills the voids in the bear can. :) I don't want to hear the words "Ranch dressing" again.

I can see this used in pasta dishes and even for fish.. but no ranch. If you do fish tacos, perfect.. no ranch. maybe just me..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Russ, why do I get the feeling you don't like Ranch Dressing.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

my College roommate used to work as a Plant manager/R&D guy for Clorox. Did you know they make Hidden Valley Ranch dressings and KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce and some Kingsford products? When he was located in Pleasanton , we shared an appt in Fremont in the late 80's after we got jobs. He would bring home lots of charcoal, bbq sauce and that hideous ranch dressing. I liked the briquettes the most, as I'm a old-school bbq guy.

Personally, i do think Ranch tastes like it might have a tad touch of bleach in it. :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:

Personally, i do think Ranch tastes like it might have a tad touch of bleach in it.
What's wrong with your stomach being disinfected once in a while Russ. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ok.. not to take away from the OP.. if you do a google search on sriracha packets, you will see many choices. I'm not sure why packets bad compared to all that dehydration time, but I'll take the packets any day!

Russ
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:go with the packet, Eric. fills the voids in the bear can. :) I don't want to hear the words "Ranch dressing" again.

I can see this used in pasta dishes and even for fish.. but no ranch. If you do fish tacos, perfect.. no ranch. maybe just me..
Ranch, ranch, ranch, ranch.... Yum. And you're a weirdo. :cool:
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

artrock23 wrote:I love Sriracha sauce! :thumbsup:

Dehydrating it sounds like way too much hassle, though. You know that it does come in little single-serving packets, like soy sauce, yes?
Yes, I'm aware of them, and use them. Just thought the dehydration idea was kind of interesting. And 1.5 hours IS NOT that long or that much trouble. At least on my planet it's not. Especially when I'm dehydrating other items anyway. Not much extra work to just throw in some sauce.