Snow Nymph's Recent Climbing Accident

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Nymph's Recent Climbing Accident

Post by gdurkee »

Arrrggghhhh! Get better SN! Another Tale From The White Hart to tell over a brew or two... .

g.
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice

Post by SierraMaclure »

So sorry. Take it easy and be gentle with yourself. Love, K.
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Hope you can get back to the mountains you love soon!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, everyone! Sorry for late response, I've been drugged out and not able to concentrate without falling asleep. :retard: Quit drugs yesterday, so more alert now. I'm doing fine, considering how much worse it could have been. :) I'm pretty beat up, but with rest and surgery should be back on my feet in 6-8 weeks. Xrays show broken clavicle (R side, reqs surgery), broken ribs on R side and fractured pelvis on L side. Luckily the boulder rolled over me before picking up speed and bounced down the steep slope. I have friends close by in Mammoth and Bishop that are here for me. :D Tamberly and Jefe drove to Bridgeport and picked up the FJ. I won't be able to drive for awhile since my shifting arm and clutch leg are both injured. Tam took me to Vons to stock up on food, etc for the rest of the week, and even grilled a few steaks AND cut it up so I can just microwave and eat. She took the time to do little things like unscrew the "press downs and twist" med bottles that would be impossible to open with only one arm. She made things easier for me while stuck inside.

I'm seeing the Orthopedic Surgeon on Friday, and hope to have the surgery done next week. Scott will drive up when that is scheduled, and he'll drive me home in the FJ and we'll leave the Rubi in Mammoth (bumpy ride, not good for my injuries). I quit taking pain meds yesterday, so was able to work on the pix from this trip. Its hard typing with 1 left finger when you're right handed. I'll add the link here when I finish the album later today. In the meantime, I uploaded a few pix on my wall if you're on Facebook.

So here's the summary of what happened, that I've been sending out to people who e-mailed that aren't Facebook:

"Three of us back packed in for an overnighter. We got to camp and dropped some gear. We started climbing Virginia peak, and 0.4 mi up, a 500# boulder about the size of me rolled. I was below it, luckily close to it or it would have crushed me bouncing down the chute. This was at 3pm. Hiked down CL3 chute with only clavicle pain, but L leg started feeling weird before I got to camp. Once at camp I made the decision to push 911 on my SPOT personal beacon (5:09pm). Gimp leg would not do well going 7 mi w/3000' el loss. SAR arrived on foot ~1:45am and checked me (BP, HR, etc) They made calls and said helo would be there in the morning. Since I could not walk to helo, they gave me morphine and put me on a flatboard and carried me there. I was on helo by 7am and flew to Mammoth. Got to Mammoth around 9:20am and xferred to ambulance. At first declined morphine, but after being moved again it felt like a big knife in my neck so asked for another shot of morphine. In Mammoth ER til about 5pm, and got drugs and xrays, and lots of sleep. Tam and Jefe picked me up and took me to their place and fed me before taking me home."

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Snow Nymph's Recent Climbing Accident

Post by J ney »

I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend and it sounds like you did everything right. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Wow, what a story. Heal quickly!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Thanks for the update. Get well soon!
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wow Snowy, quite a story!! Thank goodness that your were close to the boulder. Thank you
for updating us and please continue to do so.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Glad you got back safely. Here's to a swift recovery.

Russ
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I'm glad you are OK and getting things taken care of. It sounds like you got an excellent responce from you SPOT.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray