Glen Pass conditions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amanda
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Glen Pass conditions?

Post by amanda »

Doing the Rae Lakes loop this week; wondering if anyone has done it recently and has advise re: Glen Pass conditions? Icy? Snowy? All the SEKI website says is "Glen Pass is now stock passable. A large boulder was cleared on the North side of the pass and a temporary 3 ft. trail was created on the South side making it passable to stock using extreme caution".

This would be my first time hiking the loop so I'm just curious as to what a trail with an "extreme caution" warning would really entail. Thanks!
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Re: Glen Pass conditions?

Post by hikerdmb »

I just finished the JMT southbound and I came over Glen Pass on 7/26, a couple days after the epic storm night that caused the damage to several passes. The boulder on Glen was not a problem for hikers, only stock. The south side had a few washouts but again these were not a problem for hikers. Enjoy your trip. If you have time try to get into 60 Lake Basin. I was in there last summer and it is worth a little extra effort and time to see this area. And there is no snow or ice on the pass.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to HST! Glen Pass should be fine, no snow or ice tools needed. Knowing a little
about you experience would allow us to give you advice accordingly, which is why we
ask newer members to read this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
amanda
Topix Newbie

Post by amanda »

Cool, thanks!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

IMG_3471.JPG
All the SEKI website says is "Glen Pass is now stock passable.
While I was on Glen Pass on 7/24 a couple of horses came by which greatly entertained everyone lounging around and enjoying the views from the pass. On the way back on 7/27 there was no such entertainment so we hurried off to beat what looked like a brewing storm. Not much snow and ice in the Sierra this summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.