Need ideas, Car Camp

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Need ideas, Car Camp

Post by frediver »

I got left holding the baby.
My grandson, well actually his dad told me they want to camp next week, someplace with clear
skies for a meteor shower. GS is 5yr.s
Neither one has been camping B4 and the have very little equ., that is something that can be overcome.
What I need is a location that offers the above and is somewhat close, I will be driving, in a sm. truck.
The plan now is to leave in the early AM next Sun and likely return PM Mon or Early AM Tues.. I am hoping to have no more than a 3 hr. drive from Santa Rosa.
No real facilities are necessary, I had considered just finding a wide spot in the road up near Ice House Res.
I know they have camp areas there I just do not remember where.
Having a fire would be nice for burning hot dogs and marshmallows but are there any current restrictions?
It's a 1st trip so I need to keep it easy and fun for both of them.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need ideas, Car Camp

Post by Vaca Russ »

Frediver,

Loon Lake Campground is a lot prettier (IMHO) and a higher elevation. It is a little farther drive than Ice House but that means fewer yahoos.

You can still have a fire in the fire ring in the campground.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

How long does it take you to get to Lassen from Santa Rosa?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
ScoobyMike
Topix Acquainted

Need ideas, Car Camp

Post by ScoobyMike »

Loon lake is the starting point of the Rubicon OHV trail and always seems to be full.
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Loon Lake is a very good suggestion. About 3.5 hrs from the Bay Area, give or take.

A bit of clarification on Loon Lake camping: it is true that Loon is the primary staging area for the Rubicon, and that the primitive campground on the north side of the lake is almost always chock full of wheelers.

However, the forest service campground on the south side is very nice, family friendly, and has a small amount of non-reservable sites (first come, first served). No flush toilets, but the water supply is sweet and plentiful. Sites are generally well-placed with more privacy than normal, IMO.

While our typical routine at Loon Lake is canoe camping in the Lake Pleasant area, I recently stayed in the FS campground and found it quite nice.