TR Emigrant

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR Emigrant

Post by The hermit »

I drove up to kennedy meadows thurs.night(7/25). Got there about midnight.after an uncomfortable night in the back of my truck I hit the trail about 8. Right away I knew I was in trouble with so little acclimation time. The views kept my spirits soaring nonetheless. Frequent breaks helped me to keep climbing up the trail. When I stopped for lunch a couple guys passed by and gave me some great info on a potential route.(I mentioned how great this web site is). About 6 or 7miles in I left the trail at some posts that said no camping. I followed the creek up towards lewis lakes. Since I forgot my gps i missed the lowest lake. I didn't mind since that area was mosquito habitat. As I continued up I was reassured I was on the right track when I saw lower lewis lake below. The headwall below middle Lewis lake was challenging but not above class 2-3 with a little patient route finding. Arriving at the lake I was ecstatic (exhausted). A cup of miso soup and a cold beverage revived me enough to really enjoy the evening alpenglow. One of the most challenging and rewarding days ever. If I had acclimated properly I would have been fine. To be continued ...
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Emigrant

Post by SweetSierra »

The hermit wrote:I was ecstatic (exhausted). ...
I love this. So very true for so many first days of my trips. If a day is tough, I tell myself what it will feel like when I get to a destination that is home for the night. It's a great feeling to take off the pack, sit on the ground, eat, and look at the mountains and sky.
I look forward to the rest of your story!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

That's a great area. We were up at Ridge and Iceland lakes last year.

Got any photos?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

A few notes on day one. First off a big thanks to those who posted reports on the area.They inspired my trip.also I got several quick responses to my question about thunderstorm activity, that really helped w/ planning, thanks! As I got close to the trailhead evidence of a recent storm was abundant, great timing! On the trail the only water available was at grouse creek and summit creek(great place for a dip). As the day progressed the clouds were building, adding to a sense of urgency. Nothing came of it. And I was grateful when I dove into the mildly refreshing waters of lewis lake.
I awoke to blur skies on day two. The plan was to either follow the creek up to upper lewis or contour up and around to sardella lake..
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Just lost a detailed post on the rest of day two. Dumbphone! I'll continue another day. Stay tuned.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I can't bear to rewrite an account ofmy climb up lewis creek. Lets just say it was steep. And at the lcrux I pulled my pack up w/ a rope.when i got to upper lewis lake I couldn't wait to dive in.a quick hop brought me to sardella. Great spot for an extended break for lunch and swimming. I forced myself to continue towards ridge lake. This was the longest distance of the day. Maybe a mile. Ridge lake was beautiful. The water was refreshing but not cold. After chatting with one of the guys camping there I moved on towards iceland lake. I contoured too far west and came upon the most lovely tarn. I found some great campsites. I had heard about great campsites down at iceland lake but a party was obviously already there. No need to descend 200 feet. Great night for some alpinglow and adult snowcones. To be continued ...