Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by acvdmlac »

Hello, I'm a Level 3 backpacker, planning a trip 2nd week of this September, and am looking for information and trip reports regarding a loop I'm contemplating that would involve crossing Cox Col and Gabbot Pass with full packs. Haven't found a lot of posts/comments on either...Secor calls them both class 2, but as I hear he underestimates difficulty I am looking at the closely-spaced topo lines above Upper Mills Creek and either side of Cox Col and thinking they might involve Class 3 sections + more if there is snow (although that doesn't seem likely in September of this year...). The week-long loop we're contemplating would take us up Little Lakes Valley to Dade Lake on day 1, then over Cox Col to Lake Italy, over Gabbot Pass to the Mills Creek Lake, then down to the Mono Creek Trail and out over Mono Pass with side-trips to Fourth Recess and/or Pioneer Basin. Any feedback/advice welcome...Thank you! :)
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

Post by John Dittli »

North Col (aka Cox Col) is class 2. Approaching from the east, don't go to the low spot, but rather work up the rib to the right (north) of the col. Do this early. You will end up climbing higher than the low spot but it's much easier. Walk of the west side.

It's been many decades since I crossed Gabbot sans skis. I only recall lots of talus, no extraordinary difficulties.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Post by acvdmlac »

Also, anyone have any experience going over "North Col" that Secor describes as Class 2 and preferred over Cox Col as a route from Dade Lake to Lake Italy?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

acvdmlac wrote:Also, anyone have any experience going over "North Col" that Secor describes as Class 2 and preferred over Cox Col as a route from Dade Lake to Lake Italy?
I'm not sure what you are asking. I think North Col and Cox Col are the same thing. Pretty straight forward.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

"North Col" is what Secor calls the higher, easier route that John described that is just above Cox Col.

I went over Gabbot Pass a couple of years ago in the summer and don't remember anything particular about it other than that it was pretty casual.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

I went over Gabbot Pass in late June this year. There was a small snowfield on the north side at the top and a few others on the way down to Upper Mills Creek Lake. Everything was melting fast. I had no problem making it over with a full pack and trail runners. Here's the tr: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Gabbot Pass is not to bad but would definitely recommend doing North Col
just north of Cox Col. Cox Col is more class 3 near the top which requires
the usage of your hands and feet to climb not for someone with no climbing
experience, attempting to do this with full pack would be only advisable for
backpackers with good climbing experience.
Hopefully we'll be lucky this year and get a TR from you Acvdmlac. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Post by acvdmlac »

Thank you all for the useful suggestions!

You're right, Maverick, I'm overdue for a trip report, having received some useful advice over these last couple of summers...but last 2 trips have been mostly on-trail during late August and September when snow, bugs and creek crossings are not issues...is there an interest in such reports? If we go over Gabbot and North Col I certainly will post some photos and narrative...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Acvdmlac wrote:

is there an interest in such reports?
All TR's are appreciated on HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Post by acvdmlac »

Thanks, I'll post after this trip...