Becker Peak & Talking Mountain Day Hike, Tahoe Basin

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Becker Peak & Talking Mountain Day Hike, Tahoe Basin

Post by madeintahoe »

My hubby and I did a nice day hike to both Becker Peak 8,300 & Talking Mountain 8,824. This is a great short fun hike that takes you to two peaks that have some really pretty views of the Tahoe basin & looking into Desolation. The two peaks sit right above the South side of Echo Lakes. There is a faint on and off trail to Becker Peak which is the 1st peak you get to, and then from Becker to Talking Mountain it is an all xcrountry trying to stay on the ridge as much as possible hike, but having to drop down at times and into some heavy manzanita. We passed a few very beautiful rock formations and rock pinnacles along the ridge to Talking Mountain. it was a perfect day for hiking, just the right temperature and very little wind. A few fall colors we noticed. I did take a few pictures of the hike
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554461706wJxzlT

I guess Webshots thinks the word Nipple is a bad word :eek: Because they would not allow me to use it in my description. So the pointy peak in the distance on the Carson Pass area picture is in fact called The Nipple!!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Good to see Wayne getting out with you! I like the photo of the two of you. Pretty area!

I also enjoyed the new photos you added of Lucy and Zeus! The puffy puppy ones are cute! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Nice! :nod:
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wow, nice shots. You know, in all my California years (let me see... around 35 of them, I think) I *never* explored the Tahoe area very much. Obviously a mistake. Some beautiful open granite up there. Oh, well, maybe in the next life ;)
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you all!

SN...It is very nice that Wayne is hiking with me again..I really missed it. Yes the puffy puppy ones are adorable...I wish they were that size again..gosh they were so dang cute at that age..not that they are still not cute..they were all little sweet rascals as puppies :D

Bsquared....You will have to one day come back to Tahoe. Do you miss CA?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Anita - great pictures and how lucky of you to be able to enjoy the hike with a loved one. I do envy you - you live in such a great area.

Kathy
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yes, I frankly do miss California -- mountains, coast, and valleys (Napa & Sonoma Valleys mostly, of course!). But every time I visit the San Francisco area (where I grew up ) or worse -- the LA area -- I'm astonished at how congested it's all become...
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy thank you for your very kind comment! :)

Bsquared...I bet you do miss it, Yes the bay area is very congested...there is no way I could live there or the LA area, :eek: guess im just spoiled being able to live here :)