Trip Advice: Day hike suggestions around Benton Hot Springs?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Advice: Day hike suggestions around Benton Hot Springs?

Post by lauralai627 »

Hello,

My friends and I are camping at Benton Hot Springs next weekend and were wondering if there are any good peaks to day-hike (hoping to keep it under 16-18 miles). Ideally, we'd like to find a trailhead that's within 30-60 minutes of Benton. We are a pretty fit group, comfortable up to class 3 with a bit of snow travel if necessary.

Any/all suggestions very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Laura
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: Day hike suggestions around Benton Hot Springs?

Post by giantbrookie »

I'm not exactly sure where Benton Hot Springs are, but I recall they are pretty close to the kickoff point for going up to Glass Mtn. which is a highpoint (11123 some odd elevation) that provides a terrific view of the east side of the Sierra AND the White Mountains (making it pretty unique). I haven't been up there since the early 70's so my memory of roads and such is completely missing. I do remember the climbing is simply scree and talus slogging: class 1 and the distances and elevation gain are rather small.

In contrast, the a bigger, but much more difficult target is Montgomery Peak (13441), the superb northern sentinel of the White Mtns. Boundary Peak, the highest point in Nevada is more popular (owing to the fact that it is a state high point), but it is more or less a bump on the north ridge of Montgomery. The standard route (haven't tried it) is around the back side which (best to look up reports on climber.org summitpost and other such sites for details). I'm not sure if that kickoff point is within 60 minutes of where you're camped at all. A much more involved, but stunning, way to do it is up the W. ridge above Benton, but this requires to 4WD to get to the top of the alluvial fan in order to reduce the elevation gain by about 1600' (8600 to 7000 gain) and the distance from about 16 to 8 miles round trip compared to hiking all the way from Benton (not really practical in the summer heat unless you get a super early start). I have tried and failed to complete both versions, with the closest coming in the winter of 1979 when I went from the Benton town dump and got within 600' of the summit before turning back owing to lack of time. In the summer it looks to me that the route goes class 2 all the way until the final 600' when it appears that there will be quite a bit of class 3 to finish. The lower parts can be brushy too--I seem to have avoided that in 1979, but ran afoul of it in summer 2004 when my group was turned around by thunderstorms (and I was probably in too poor shape to complete the climb even in perfect weather).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: Day hike suggestions around Benton Hot Springs?

Post by Rockchucker »

Tons of hiking in the area, but of your set on peak bagging giantbrookie nailed it.
I'm no suture for my future.