2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by oldranger »

mav's trip works for me. An area I haven't been to and is actually on the route I planned for next year at about the right time. At my age I don't have too many years to fill in my sierra list so I am not Inclined to visit areas I have already visited (with a couple of exceptions.)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sounds great Shawn, Chris, Ladd, ND Woods, and OldRanger!
If things work out and we have enough interest than we will have another meet-up
at the Grinnell Lakes area which was the second pick on the my list of places to hold
this first one Tom. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

It's a bit early to be making plans for 2014 right now, but I have jotted down the dates on my planning calendar in case I can make it work.

Also. that's the location of my big trip this year. I start next weekend. Not sure how keep I'd be to return to the same spot right away, but there will always be peaks to climb and lakes to fish that I miss out on the first time through!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Cadi,

You will enjoy it so much that you'll be ready to re-visit it next year, guaranteed! :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

This sounds like a great idea and I'm highly tempted, given that I really like that area. Looks like they'll be a great crew in there. However, if I really do get my one designated backpack on the summer back (for the first time since 2008), I am aiming to go some place I haven't been to before: At the top of my list right now is a loop that goes: Edison to Mills Creek Lakes (haven't been there)-Gabbot Pass (not been that way)-Bear Basin (visited very little of it)-Pinnacles Creek/Turret (haven't been there) to Florence, but I may think of something that gets me more excited as the time nears. I also have no idea what my research/conference/etc. schedule is this far in advance, as well as the schedule of my ace death march buddy who hasn't been on a trip with me since accompanying me on Tunechuck in 2008.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert

2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by Bluewater »

Great idea maverick! Although it's hard to confirm that far out I'm definitely interested.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Mav,
Great idea. On another forum we have 2 meetings a yr. In October (Rocktober) and just last month. It's nice to put faces with the like minded and also to extend personal thanks to those who have helped/encouraged me go some places I wouldn't have dreamed of.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey GB, Bluewater, and Austex, thanks for the interest. Hopefully by May everyone
will have a clearer view of their schedules and folks can make a solid commitment.
It would be great if you could make this part of your trip to the Sierra from Texas
Austex, this place is well worth it.
So what do I need to tempt you with John to put this trip at the top of your list, how
about climbing Mount Russell, finding Larry's register entry and writing something
next to it in his memory. :nod:

freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Mav, I would just set the date and go for it! There will be Topix crew there for "tea" at dusk and a ton of TRs to follow, regardless. How we all get there, and what happens after the rendezvous will be the real adventure.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

I'm definitely interested since this area is on my list of areas I still need to visit. I may even have to take on ascending Shepherd Pass to get there.

:thumbsup: